Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series drop box / caster correction

Derek

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
As title, only seem to find them in Australia.

Heard the correction bushes aren’t as good.

Depends on how much lift you have really. Cranked arms are the best, then drop boxes, then castor correction plates then ... never bushes.
Not easy to find anywhere though I'm afraid.

I have a 2” lift and front spring spacers (fitted before I bought it.
Changed all the tie rod ends etc, done the wheel alignment (caster is off) and front is twitchy, don’t really like towing with it.

With that I'd simply fit castor correctionplates

I thought they were pretty much the same thing/ a different name? Where’s best to get them from?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, different end of the control arm. Boxes go on the chassis and plates go on the axle

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
When my 80 had steering issues connected to castor. When I had a heavy trailer behind it there wasn't any steering issues. I believe that with the rear of the truck sat down it provided an amount of castor correction that was required..

Can't think of any other reason for the difference..

I do wheel alignments at work as part of my ever expanding job title lol and I’ve never seen any movement on front caster due to a lower/ adjusted rear end.
Even normal driving doesn’t feel that great with big 35” muds and the lift.

This was with 35's and 5" lift and eventually discovered that the chassis was cracked on both sides of the steering box!

But the 4" drop boxes did the trick and later the chassis was repaired when I did the auto to manual and 12v to 24v engine.

Talking heavy trailer over weight with tongue heavy and in my experience didn't experience the steering behavior that it was doing on the way to collect the load.

Different truck on the way home... just something I noted from back then.

Back