Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series flashing overdrive light

Delboy

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi, I genuinely love my 80 Series but struggling to get the problem with the auto box sorted. Local mechanic has had a look and thinks the best way forward is to change the box which I am not keen on as although it has 172000 miles on the clock the box should be okay?? Overdrive light flashes after approx 10 minutes plus the overdrive does tot work and it struggles to change up like it is missing top gear. I have now tried a Toyota main dealer to at least advise on the fault codes so I could get an idea on the actual fault and cost of getting it sorted but after leaving it there for an hour returned to be told that they could not do anything with it as it was too old!!!

I want to keep the car but its getting to the point where I cannot get anyone here in South West Wales to even look at it let alone sort it out. If anyone can advise on how to remedy the problem or a garage that would help than that would be great if not then it looks like Ebay and hoping it goes to a good home and not broken for spares.

It is a 94 VX UK spec car with nearly fsh so was hoping it would have a lot more life left in it.

Thanks

Del

Hi and welcome Del. Fear not, you've come to the right place. This is a most friendly forum with loads of info and people to help.

First off, the gearboxes, I'm told, are bomb proof. Post up the flashes as there's folks on here that will know what they mean.

Also has the ATF been topped up correctly? There's a procedure for checking the level which should be done warm.

Good luck with it.
Rich

Guys, help me out here but doesn't the OD light flashing mean something specific? Not had an auto for a while now but it's something daft IIRC.

These boxes are usually super reliable and don't suffer from many faults. The TPS cable is one and so is dirty ATF.

There is also a procedure for checking the solenoids in the box without taking it to bits.

Yeah, you can connect a couple of pins and the od light will flash a code. Probably a busted solenoid, as it doesnt really check anything else ( like input speed versus output speed).

Hi and welcome Del. Fear not, you've come to the right place. This is a most friendly forum with loads of info and people to help.

First off, the gearboxes, I'm told, are bomb proof. Post up the flashes as there's folks on here that will know what they mean.

Also has the ATF been topped up correctly? There's a procedure for checking the level which should be done warm.

Good luck with it.
Rich

Hi Rich,

Local mechanic has flushed and changed the ATF twice with no success plus they they have tried to work out what the issue is without success hence the option from them being a second hand box which is £750 plus fitting etc and no guarantees/ I am not able to sort this myself hence having to rely on mechanics etc.

The gearbox could have an issue but my concern is that when the car was worked on something has happened to cause the problem as the light never flashed on and off before the fluid was changed.What happened was the gearbox started to play up and their solution was to flush and change the ATF and it was fine for a few days and then the overdrive light stated to flash and no top gear or overdrive.

Cheers

Del

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My gut feeling is they haven't put enough ATF in.
Easy to check and top up as long as you keep the area scrupulously clean.
See here. https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/posts/1388104/
Or, having read Chris's thread it could well be a dislodged connector. Easy enough to diagnose through shorting the pins on the "Diagnostic" connector located on the bulkhead.

These are things you will almost certainly be perfectly capable of checking/ doing yourself.

Last edited:
HI Delboy, welcome to the forum, don't forget to post pics we love pics...

I have 3 x 94 VX automatics.

The problem can be from a simple bad connection, to a solenoid needing changed both of these scenarios are not too priced althoughgettimg a mechanic to open the box and change the solenoid was not a simple task for me.

Please read my thread carefully, there is a link to a manual and also the trick of how to run the diagnostic to lock down the type of issue you have. you need a 5 cm piece of wire and 3 minutes of your time to do this.

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/another-autobox-problem-on-another-80.143984/

Alternatively ping me your mobile numberby private message/conversation ( in your forum account menu) and Ill canrun you through my issues and solutions used.

Mussy

Check the continuity of the switch on the gear selector or the wires that run from it. Also the fuse ( can't remember which one at the mo).
This sounds like an external electrical problem to me possibly an intermittent break, for it to engage O/D there must be a circuit going through the selector O/D switch. I'd take the gearlever surround off and check the condition of the wires from the switch. If you need to I'd explain the problem to an auto electrician and get him to check all the wiring before box removal.

Check the continuity of the switch on the gear selector or the wires that run from it. Also the fuse ( can't remember which one at the mo).
This sounds like an external electrical problem to me possibly an intermittent break, for it to engage O/D there must be a circuit going through the selector O/D switch. I'd take the gearlever surround off and check the condition of the wires from the switch. If you need to I'd explain the problem to an auto electrician and get him to check all the wiring before box removal.

Before anything he needs to run the diagnostic as per the manual, this will give a clearer direction of the error.

Hi, I have decided to sell as the local mechanic cannot even read the codes using the paperclip method and as this has been on going for the last few months and even Toyota cannot assist its time to move it on, I may even break as it could be worth more, cheers Del.

Hi, checked and it was a bit low but topping up has not cured the problem. Local mechanic cannot paperclip the fault codes and even Toyota cannot be bothered so its time to move it on or even break if its worth more, cheers Del.

Hi, checked and it was a bit low but topping up has not cured the problem. Local mechanic cannot paperclip the fault codes and even Toyota cannot be bothered so its time to move it on or even break if its worth more, cheers Del.

I must confess It seems to me these mechanics are not really interested in looking for the codes. It really isn't that difficult and there is a high chance that it could be a loose or dirty connection or a solenoid....

Last edited:
If you want to sell it them I might take a s a parts car....

Is the mechanic that cant read the codes, the same mechanic that said change the box? If so, find yourself a new one that has the ability to short 2 pins in a socket and count the number of flashes of the od light. Its not rocket science, even my dog could probably do it.

In fact, why not just do it yourself?

This ^^^^ please don't give up you are being messed around..

+1. All you need is a paperclip!

Back