Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series fuel tank size

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
I have a UK spec 80 with the standard fuel tank plus a 60ltr LRT where the spare would have sat.
Today I filled both tanks to the brim after running it down to the low level red light and it took 198ltr. Now I thought the standard tank was 95ltr so plus my 60ltr I should only have been able to put in 155ltr so where is the extra 43ltr capacity coming from, and I did check underneath for leaks. :think:

I have a UK spec 80 with the standard fuel tank plus a 60ltr LRT where the spare would have sat.
Today I filled both tanks to the brim after running it down to the low level red light and it took 198ltr. Now I thought the standard tank was 95ltr so plus my 60ltr I should only have been able to put in 155ltr so where is the extra 43ltr capacity coming from, and I did check underneath for leaks. :think:
Hi Chas,

Mine is German and has 95lt!
I can't image you leaked more than 40 lt without see that, I can't image you have a so big leak.
198 look like £ instead lt :)

Hi Chas,

Mine is German and has 95lt!
I can't image you leaked more than 40 lt without see that, I can't image you have a so big leak.
198 look like £ instead lt :)
It was the till receipt that gave me the figures, the pump stopped at 100ltr and I had to replace the nozzle and start again. No there was no leak, that was a joke. The only thing I can think of is that my LRT is about 100ltr not 60ltr.

It was the till receipt that gave me the figures, the pump stopped at 100ltr and I had to replace the nozzle and start again. No there was no leak, that was a joke. The only thing I can think of is that my LRT is about 100ltr not 60ltr.
That makes sense!
But still 198 vs 195... look like you are very confident in your reserve! :blush:

As soon as the amber light turn on I start to be in worry:)

That makes sense!
But still 198 vs 195... look like you are very confident in your reserve! :blush:

As soon as the amber light turn on I start to be in worry:)
I remember a long time ago when my red light came on and it was 20mls before I found a garage, so I know I can do at least that much and keep running

Sounds like you have just been robbed by the garage. Pump might have charged you but not delivered- similar to the council tax,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds like you have just been robbed by the garage. Pump might have charged you but not delivered- similar to the council tax,
Actually that never occurred to me, what I'll do is run it empty and refill at a different garage to see it there is any difference in capacity.

Actually that never occurred to me, what I'll do is run it empty and refill at a different garage to see it there is any difference in capacity.
Well I ran 'til the red light and refilled, this time I could only get 146ltrs in, so it seems the first garage overcharged me, unfortunately I haven't got the till receipt from the first time so there;s not much I can do except not use that garage again.

Fuel pumps are very heavily regulated - like the old weights and measures people. They even have to calculate the difference between cold weather and hot weather to allow for expansion of the fuel. To be 40 l out would be very unlikely unless someone was deliberately cheating you. It's all part of the licensing doo-dah.

I don't know if it's still possible to do with self service, but in days gone by it was a scam (not by me !) to stop the pump zeroing properly by judicious use of the main electrical cut off switch. Just came to mind when you said that the pump stopped at 100 litres and was restarted.

I don't know if it's still possible to do with self service, but in days gone by it was a scam (not by me !) to stop the pump zeroing properly by judicious use of the main electrical cut off switch. Just came to mind when you said that the pump stopped at 100 litres and was restarted.
I think most if not all fuel stations that automatically switch off pumps at 100ltrs, I've always thought it was a way of reducing drive off stealing amounts, maybe there is another reason.

All the pumps around here stop at 98 or 100ltrs as well.

It's been quite a while since I put more than about 75 litres in at a time. I wonder if the HGV pumps do it too these days, they usually seem to be a bit quicker.

Back