Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series Gearbox noise

HiX123

Country Flag
australia
hey guys, ever since I purchased my cruiser it’s had a weird sort of tapping noise when idling and when coasting at around 1900 revs. Originally it was a windows down and music up problem but it seems to be getting a little louder (could just be me getting paranoid). At first I thought it was coming from the engine but after jumper under it while it was running today I’m almost certain it’s coming from the gearbox/clutch area. Anyone got any ideas of what it could be? (Video attached)
T.I.A :)

Hmm, honestly, that just sounds like a 4.2 diesel running. Hard to isolate a distinct noise really.
I think I can pick out what you mean - sort of 4 beats to the second? Sounds pretty normal really. Looks incredibly clean under there too btw.

Hmm, honestly, that just sounds like a 4.2 diesel running. Hard to isolate a distinct noise really.
I think I can pick out what you mean - sort of 4 beats to the second? Sounds pretty normal really. Looks incredibly clean under there too btw.
Yep that's the noise. A mate of mine also said it just sounds like a diesel but I wasn't too sure.
Thanks mate! I try to keep her clean after trips haha

There's a fair bit of clatter off an oil burner from noisy tappets to the injection pump. Doesn't sound like it's about to blow up, but I'm not there standing next to it. Here in the UK we have issues with the big end shell bearings on the 12 valve engine. If they're not swapped out the consequences can be catastrophic. But they don't make any noise until they let go.

You can use a short wooden rod held to your ear and touched in various places around the engine (no I'm not yanking your chain) to maybe isolate the noise from the rest of the racket going on.

Mine has the same noise since some time. Seems to get less when the engine warms up. Doesn't go away when I press the clutch, so not gearbox related.
You can use a short wooden rod held to your ear and touched in various places around the engine (no I'm not yanking your chain) to maybe isolate the noise from the rest of the racket going
Or a big screwdriver with the handle pressed to your ear

Or one of these car stethoscopes, cheap on ebay or amazon.
31U9Oa6ww%2BL.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Or a wooden stick. Ha ha.

Hmm might get me one of those.

Works pretty well, hurts a bit if you try to listen to your heart though.:)

I think that sounds quite like mine, try listening to all the injector pipes using a screwdriver / stethoscope, you may hear the noise matching as I do, I have still to pull my injectors and have them checked but I’m sure that’s the cause on mine.
What is your mileage/ 12 or 24v? As Chris mentioned we have issues with big end bearings on 12v engines in Uk, I did find a pair of big end bearing shells starting to crater on the cylinder my injector pipe knocks on
Mine has improved after using diesel injector cleaner, but as it isn’t on the road mine has just done around 5-6 miles on the old airfield runway, and a couple of hours on idle

Cheers

I think that sounds quite like mine, try listening to all the injector pipes using a screwdriver / stethoscope, you may hear the noise matching as I do, I have still to pull my injectors and have them checked but I’m sure that’s the cause on mine.
What is your mileage/ 12 or 24v? As Chris mentioned we have issues with big end bearings on 12v engines in Uk, I did find a pair of big end bearing shells starting to crater on the cylinder my injector pipe knocks on
Mine has improved after using diesel injector cleaner, but as it isn’t on the road mine has just done around 5-6 miles on the old airfield runway, and a couple of hours on idle

Cheers
Hey mate, at about 60,000km since rebuild. it's 12v.

Back