Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series or 105 Series

steverjuk

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Looking for an 80 or 105 series, preferably a 1996 or later vehicle around the South Yorkshire (England) area. Willing to pay a little over market value for the correct vehicle (low mileage, low corrosion).

Well you've come to the right place. Not sure anyone is selling at the second, but we can keep our eyes open for you. It would be helpful if you posted an intro in the intro section. Have you had 80s before? Are you an ex Toyota mechanic or a clusterflop in the spanner department that sort of thing. We don't want to insult your intelligence with daft comments.

We can certainly help with vetting vehicles for you - don't worry, we don't look at your link then rush off and buy it from under you. It's not how we operate. Being in SY there's a few of us around who can be of practical help.
Of course you know late model, low miles and low rust is a but if a unicorn (unless of course you have one hidden away ha ha)

Welcome

Chris

There is a low miles 12v auto I know of. From a new member on here.

I'll post an introduction in the intro section. I've not had an 80 before but have had loads of LandRovers and decided it's time to buy something more reliable.
I'm a novice spanner turner, have done a few final drive swaps and maintenance on most LandRovers but I need all the advice I can get. I've done loads of research and looking at 80s 105s and as a last resort 100s. Being a LandRover owner I know how important it is to get a rot free, well-maintained vehicle, as a good starting point for a build.
My perfect vehicle would be a 24v manual with low miles on the clock, I've toyed with the idea of importing one but you're looking at 20k and when I look at what I could get already imported for that I can't bring myself to pay it. I know they are getting rare being a 20-year-old vehicle but surely there is something out there.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

What are your plans once you have it, out of interest?

The costs of 80', and 105's has skyrocketed in the last few years, and if you want a low milage one in good condition then to be honest I bet you'd be looking at the £20k mark. To give you a price point, we brought our 105 with 23k on the clock in very good condition for £16k in 2010. Ok you could argue we paid too much for it, but we wanted the best vehicle we could find and we were prepared to pay for it (and , we believe, we got it)

If you're planning to take it overloading then consider a Troopy maybe?

Just some thoughts.

It's going to be a multipurpose vehicle purpose vehicle, long weekends away in Scotland / Wales, then overlanding to Finland, France, Spain etc and also shopping wagon. The first outing is going to be the North Coast 500 as a run in trip, some camping and so hotels stays.
I did think about a Troopy but they are super rare in the UK and if you can find them they are super expensive. I'm hoping for a really nice 80 24v and maybe even a 105 if I can find one. I'd think about a troopy but in my mind they aren't worth 30-40k.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ill drop you a pm over the next day or so steve.
I usually have a couple of 80s around.
thanks karl

I did seem that one but
1) The number plate :)
2) On the mot checker, Nearside Rear Lower Body has slight corrosion as well as a few other minors
3) As I'm off to Finland hoping for leather heated seats (more than a wish than a requirement)

Paying topish dollar for an 80 I'd expect no corrosion on the MOT / body or am I just dreaming?

I did seem that one but
1) The number plate :)
2) On the mot checker, Nearside Rear Lower Body has slight corrosion as well as a few other minors
3) As I'm off to Finland hoping for leather heated seats (more than a wish than a requirement)

Paying topish dollar for an 80 I'd expect no corrosion on the MOT / body or am I just dreaming?
To be honest, You will be paying very Top Dollar for one with Zero rust... To be fair i doubt if one exists. Unless its a full Restoration Jobbie. There are some excellent ones out there.. its finding them. Good luck anyway... Keep searching the Adds..

Thanks for your help, to be ownest I'm not in a mad rush so trying to find "the perfect" truck, I bet in a few weeks that may change to the good enough truck.
If that had heated seats and a few other toys I'd have gone for a look, being a LandRover owner I'm used to fixing rust problems.

You might get very lucky, but you're more likely to be dreaming. If your adamant about the no rust maybe pay a bit less for one that has minor rust and price into the net cost a trip to the bodyshop to locate/ fix and waxoil the undercarriage.

Thanks for your help, to be ownest I'm not in a mad rush so trying to find "the perfect" truck, I bet in a few weeks that may change to the good enough truck.
If that had heated seats and a few other toys I'd have gone for a look, being a LandRover owner I'm used to fixing rust problems.
That one does have Heated seats.. It has a few toys Too.. Go with Cash and im sure you can knock him down a good way... Get a cheapo private Plate... Finland here you come:thumbup:

You might get very lucky, but you're more likely to be dreaming. If your adamant about the no rust maybe pay a bit less for one that has minor rust and price into the net cost a trip to the bodyshop to locate/ fix and waxoil the undercarriage.

yeah, there are many shades of rust between 'rust free' to 'the mot man complained', finding something between the two is likely - but finding something closer to 'rust free' is going to be hard now, unless you find a recent import somewhere.

Given your budget numbers, and I am sure you have thought this through, getting a cheaper 5 to 8k worth truck and spending the 7 - 8 k on it would potentially get you a better result than a 16k off the market truck ( again, depends on what you find where... ). I am sure there are super clean trucks around for 16k, but the likely hit rate for those is going to be pretty low V/s a more moderate example, with the potential of bringup to desired level.

If you fancy a trip to Chesterfield, I can show you what your ideal car might look like. And then I'll tell you how much you'd have to pay for one and the chances of finding one. I'm afraid you're going to have to adjust slightly. By that I don't mean buy a scrapper, not a bit of it, but there is another ancient Chinese proverb which says "Buy the first decent one you see - as it will not be there come the new dawn.

Karl's a great finder of these venerable motors, but other than from him or any other forum member don't buy anything until you've spoken to us. Chances are we've already seen it.

I've been to Finland twice in mine. But I have cloth seats!

@Trevor Do you still have that GS for sale? That has to be one of the most rust free and clean examples out there that's not already in one of our collections.

@Trevor Do you still have that GS for sale? That has to be one of the most rust free and clean examples out there that's not already in one of our collections.
Think that ones gone Chris

If you fancy a trip to Chesterfield, I can show you what your ideal car might look like. And then I'll tell you how much you'd have to pay for one and the chances of finding one. I'm afraid you're going to have to adjust slightly. By that I don't mean buy a scrapper, not a bit of it, but there is another ancient Chinese proverb which says "Buy the first decent one you see - as it will not be there come the new dawn.

Karl's a great finder of these venerable motors, but other than from him or any other forum member don't buy anything until you've spoken to us. Chances are we've already seen it.

I've been to Finland twice in mine. But I have cloth seats!
Can I come up to Chesterfield to have a look Chris!!

Back