Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series or 105 Series

The truck has been sold for a while per the telephone call I've just had :-(, suppose I may have to buy a decent one and then spend some money to make it a perfect.
Also, I'd love to come to have a look at your truck, get a few ideas and you can tell me how much more money I need to save up :).

Hah you bugger. No you've had your chance mate. Any way about time you flogged that old Hundee isn't it.

It still sitting there very happily under a sheet. Still starts on the button. It does need a wash and polish though.

Yes mate you're always welcome to come and have a look. I really do urge you to forget the notion of perfect though.
I've built several 80s up from standard and let me tell you that they only look new once. My current overlander looked really smashing I have to say, but after 4500 miles around Morocco, 4500 miles around the whole of the Baltic circle, 400o miles around Finland, Norway and Northern Russia, plus the Pyrenees and Alps plus several trips through central Europe, it looks strangely used. In fact it looks shagged just after Morocco. If you want to keep one looking nice then use to go to Tesco in.

What these giants are legendary for is mechanical strength and electrical reliability as well as space and comfort. They will do all of this with the body hanging off. OK no one wants that but many dealers out there will sell you one with the price based on bodywork. That's going to be the first casualty as soon as you start overlanding it. So don't waste money on it. Call round and I'll show you two side by side.

I agree bodywork being perfect isn't a requirement but solid chassis and mostly non rusted out panels are. Maybe I'm scared of rust coming from a LandRover background.

@Trevor Do you still have that GS for sale? That has to be one of the most rust free and clean examples out there that's not already in one of our collections.

That one was sold back to the previous owner who had always regretted selling it and it was a fabulous truck too. Now if a petrol import already kitted out with the common bits and pieces hits the spot.............well I have one, rust free and MOT'd about a month ago............

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ahhh yes of course.

Hmm that benzine burner is a beautiful truck.

Slightly lower than mine then Rob. Just nicely run in.

Hah you bugger. No you've had your chance mate. Any way about time you flogged that old Hundee isn't it.

It still sitting there very happily under a sheet. Still starts on the button. It does need a wash and polish though.
The hundee’s going no where! I love it..... but it’s still not an 80

That one was sold back to the previous owner who had always regretted selling it and it was a fabulous truck too. Now if a petrol import already kitted out with the common bits and pieces hits the spot.............well I have one, rust free and MOT'd about a month ago............
@Trevor Any chance you can pop me a PM about it as I can't seem to message people.

Just to add in, mine now has about 86k miles 97 model so one of the younger vehicles, it's never towed etc and I've still had a couple of areas on the body where I had to deal with corrosion, it does get used off road so takes a little punishment now and again.
Chassis is solid with no corrosion issues.

There's common areas on the body, unless you've a super low mileage blue one locked away!

@Chris my mate now has a unit for detailing cars if it still needs his skills

Gary that is entirely possible. Once it warms up and is guaranteed to be dry, I might have to come up. Might be easier on a trailer to save road taxing and MOTing it.

At the OP - also a slight reality check - all these vehicles are getting on for 20 years old. Yes, Cruisers are better built than LR from new, but two decades on, it all gets a bit marginal. I've ran an 80 Series Cruiser for 6 years, and various other 4x4s, incl several Defenders. My 200 Tdi Defender was easily as reliable as our 80 Series - essentially basic servicing bar the dumb ass stuff I broke off roading. Defender parts are also much, much cheaper, easier to get modifications for, easier to source panels for, etc, etc.... £15k would build one hell of a good 110 Defender that would do everything you want and more - and you could fix it on the fly. Just a thought ;-)

Gary that is entirely possible. Once it warms up and is guaranteed to be dry, I might have to come up. Might be easier on a trailer to save road taxing and MOTing it.

When it gets near to that time we'll get hold of him to get booked in.

Back