Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series power upgrades!

This is with pistons with steel lands IIRC.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know if the marine engines are low compression like the 1HD or are they higher compression, like the 1HZ?

I’m assuming that these are 12V engines, but I suppose the marine engines could all be 24V...

But pistons are the same size only stronger/heavier (i believe) , hence they alone do nothing to increase power , bare in mind there is no wheel spin in a boat , a truck cannot force 10 tonne of rolling resistance upon the engine and you can be sure if it did con rods would bend and pistons would crack .

Guys my cousin who rebuilt my engine in the past recently converted a 1-HDT engine for his yacht and later found a few ex government 1-HDT marine engines in the UK for £4000 each. He was seriously thinking of buying one but found his own conversion more than met his needs to not need to.

Both Yanmar and Yamaha produced marinised versions of both the 12 and 24v versions of Toyota 1H series. Comp ratio, among other specs, also appears to be different. I'll say again, cooling is the critical factor in the huge difference in performance of both land and marine variants. You're not going to get anything like approaching the same reliable power of a marine unit in a road vehicle, not for long anyways. JMO
http://www.diveworks-charters.com/mycustompage0023.htm

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-official-1hd-t-ft-fuel-pump-mod-tuning-thread.728533/page-8

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A question while all the above is still fresh in everyone's mind .
I've seen all the fuel pump tweaks , grinding the fuel pin etc though i admit i've not yet taken a keen interest .

Wouldn't Yanmar/Yamaha injectors (assuming the are a straight swap?) add more fuel as and when Toyota intended with the factory set up calling only for more boost pressure to get a clean burn ?

Its all guesswork from my end so be gentle but i have a vague notion that the pump doesn't so much measure fuel as fuel pressure , and so a more free flowing injector will add more fuel at the same pump pressure as is standard .

Does that make any sense ?

With the 'old fashioned' diesel injection systems as on the older LC's, the injectors are adjusted to fire at a given pressure. The pump provides the pressure and also the duration of the pressure 'pulse'. I'm no expert but I would assume that the pump on the marinised versions is also calibrated differently to mate with the injectors. Just setting the injectors to fire at a lower pressure could affect the spray pattern and hence the atomisation and burn of the fuel. If it was that easy to get loads more reliable power from a 1HD-T/FT in a Cruiser I'm sure someone would have done it and posted up somewhere.
The amount of boost required to get the correct burn with that much more fuel would be more than a vehicle mounted IC could cope with IMO. More diesel + more boost =more power and MUCH more heat that needs to be kept in check. JMO

Thought.....What we need is a guinea pig on here. Anyone?

There's plenty of upgrade injectors available for the American diesel market and lots of online debate about the pro's and con's , but Toyota didn't send them any diesel 80's to play with did they ?

Re the cooling, I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to get a custom stainless rad built for the conversion and one could also run an external pto driven water pump instead of the internal one if it was an issue. Again how long is an engine in a truck going to be held at WOT (Shayne you are excluded!) unlike a boat which is likely to run at wot for extended periods. The pistons are forged ore something to stop them melting but getting back to the op, fitting an upgraded pump and injector set could be a reasonable way to boost performance but I would start off by detuning the pump and monitoring the temps. Wouldn't take long to change it all back if it looked like a bad fix...

A question while all the above is still fresh in everyone's mind .
I've seen all the fuel pump tweaks , grinding the fuel pin etc though i admit i've not yet taken a keen interest .

Wouldn't Yanmar/Yamaha injectors (assuming the are a straight swap?) add more fuel as and when Toyota intended with the factory set up calling only for more boost pressure to get a clean burn ?

Its all guesswork from my end so be gentle but i have a vague notion that the pump doesn't so much measure fuel as fuel pressure , and so a more free flowing injector will add more fuel at the same pump pressure as is standard .

Does that make any sense ?
Id just start with the pump tweaks for now. It costs nothing and doesnt take long.

Awh Mike what a killjoy! Thought we had a victim lined up to Frankenstein his engine so now its back to good old pump mods...think I'll wait for the saloon open and get out of the sun..

shit, ive not given away the surprise party again have I?
I'm good at that..:doh:

I also think the marine yota engines have a different cam as they are tuned more for higher RPM's vs our low down torquey engines.

Back