Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series Toyota Turbo Terror

Dances with Chimps

Country Flag
uk
Hi everyone,

So travelling up to Stratford the other weekend and my friend tells me that the old LC is blowing a lot of blue smoke whilst I’m accelerating past lorries or going uphill, its hardly noticable when ticking over. So, I’m guessing the oil seals have gone on the Turbo. Fair enough, so I’m told not to bother reconditioning it as there is no knowing what has happened to the casing, best to just buy a new one. So, I phoned Simon Holton expecting a silly price but was blown away when given an absolutely absurd "we don’t ever want to sell one ever again price" of £2800. So, I took the part number and passed it through to my old Aussi mate who works for Toyota in Australia who tells me that they are out of stock in Oz but when in stock they cost $1,917.53 + GST. (£1300 + Tax). I note aftermarket ones are much much cheaper but are they reliable. What experience does the group have of replacing Turbos, any aftermarket recommendations? Any way to test whether mine is worth reconditioning?

What about this Australian GT Turbo that everyone seems to be banging on about (runs at 28 psi rather than 14psi) doesn’t need a aux pump. If I’m going to spend £2k on getting a new turbo it sure as hell isn’t going to be a factory standard Toyota :)

I know kingtom on here has a wink turbo that seems to be good might pay to give him a pm as he can tell you more about it

Who is the OEM manufacturer? As far as I know garret don't supply parts to anyone so getting a recon with genuine arts is impossible. However, if it is another brand then it may be possible. You could fit a cheap replacement core for £100 and see how far that goes as an interim solution.

I was in your spot a few months back and went to the gturbo route I'm happy with it but if I was in the same spot now I would be looking at Wink just for the more "local" support.

I took an all or nothing gamble replacing my 90's turbo with one from this place https://www.maxpeedingrods.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=CT26

Maybe 3 years later i have no complaints .

Same here got one from them for my 80, no issues and and got £20 off for first order so £130 to the door with 2yr warranty

Just a note it might not be turbo causing smoke, there are other things that can cause it ( engine breathing heavily into air intake / valve stem seals etc )

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got price from Wink the other day as the names been mentioned on the forum quite a lot recently. Was quoted 1140 plus vat so I guess its euros which isn't so bad. Be interested in not only the power but apparently the efficiency they say to giving you more mpg. As yet not looked any further as not in a position to buy right now.

Idle browsing suggests the Toyota Supra of old uses the same turbo and i've seen a few few sites offering them in various states of tuned for a similar price to Wink . Something i haven't looked into much either .

I would think to send enquiries to a reconditioning workshop. There was a very impressive one featured on "wheeler dealers" but the name escapes me. They will know whether or not they can get parts and I would think give you a free survey on whether or not it's gone beyond repair.

As suggested I would check for excessive crank case pressure by removing the oil filler cap. Oil smoke from there may reveal worn piston rings. I would not have thought worn inlet valve guides would cause much smoke on a diesel as there is no inlet manifold vacuum on the over run and you say it smokes under throttle anyway.

Be interesting to see how you get on.

A simple check is to remove the connection from the turbo to the inlet manifold for a test. If you get no smoke out the back it’s either the breather or the turbo or both. Try removing the breather pipe and blocking off the port in the intake pipe. Again, if it clears it’s the breather, if not, turbo. Just put some sort of filter over the inlet port if you remove the turbo to inlet manifold pipe and only do it for a short test time.

If you disconnect both the turbo inlet and outlet pipes as SC suggests, hold a piece of white card in the airflow from the outlet and look for any oil contamination in the form of oil mist or droplets which will be coming past the seals at the compressor end. Just make sure the inlet is clear of anything that could get sucked in! You shouldn’t get any oil smoke as that comes from the oil being burnt when passed through the engine. Oil leaks at the turbine end will obviously be straight into the hot exhaust flow and could produce smoke under power. Leaks at this end usually produce rapid carbon buildup in the turbine housing.

Same here got one from them for my 80, no issues and and got £20 off for first order so £130 to the door with 2yr warranty

Just a note it might not be turbo causing smoke, there are other things that can cause it ( engine breathing heavily into air intake / valve stem seals etc )
Right enough, id better drop it down to the local, car doctor to get it diagnosed properly before spending a load on a new Turbo. ALtghjough I am secretly hoping it is the Turb so I have an excuse to buy a decent one :)

Thanks everyone for you feedback, I have read through every one of them and its certainly food for thought. The first thng is to get it properly diagnosed and then go from there. I like the idea of WINK but how come they dont post their prices on their website. Always a bit suspeicous of that kinda thing but they look like a well established business. There is certanly a vast difference in price ranging from £200 to £3000 Im presuminng the higher in price I go the more to the rest of the system ill need to do to get the most out of it, widening the exhasust etc. At the end of the day I need something that will be reliable rather than increase my HP greatly. However, if it makes her more fuel efficient then im interested. Im using her for long distance overland rather than an every day car. Thanks again Ill let you know how I get on.

I would think to send enquiries to a reconditioning workshop. There was a very impressive one featured on "wheeler dealers" but the name escapes me. They will know whether or not they can get parts and I would think give you a free survey on whether or not it's gone beyond repair.

As suggested I would check for excessive crank case pressure by removing the oil filler cap. Oil smoke from there may reveal worn piston rings. I would not have thought worn inlet valve guides would cause much smoke on a diesel as there is no inlet manifold vacuum on the over run and you say it smokes under throttle anyway.

Be interesting to see how you get on.
Ill post how I get on, thanks for your comment.

I was in your spot a few months back and went to the gturbo route I'm happy with it but if I was in the same spot now I would be looking at Wink just for the more "local" support.
Does it make £2ks worth of difference, did you have to put a 3 inch exhaust and intercooler on also?

Yep

I reckon lots of people go there with a recon In mind and walk away with an all singing all dancing billet high flow.
Can’t say I blame them compared to the price toyota quoted on in the thread.
Hmmm, that’s like choosing a nice main course from a restaurant menu. Each one sounds great until you look at the next spec up, which is even more enticing. :)
ep e

Back