Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Sunroof removal

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
I am about to start my conversion which will require some major surgery (slight understatement there) to my 80. One of the first jobs will be the removal of the sunroof.

Does anyone know, or can point me in the direction of, how to remove the sunroof from my truck? I realise once 'in there' all should become apparent but I just wondered if anyone had done this and could offer any pointers.

Cheers

I’ve made a cassette to drop in where the sunroof sits. It isn’t finished and has largely been abandoned. If it’s any good to you, let me know.

Oooer, sounds interesting can I give you a bell?

I’ve made a cassette to drop in where the sunroof sits. It isn’t finished and has largely been abandoned. If it’s any good to you, let me know.

Won’t the rain come in through the two drive splines in the cassette Rich...

Runs and hides... :lol:

plenty of info on mud - look under sunroof, wet spots etc.
I've an 97 and easy enough. Better if you can get someone to help when taking down lining but manageable on your own. Sunroof itself is heavy so 2 people advised.
Beware of popping off plastic trim on sunroof (mine cracked)

I'll be taking mine down again as have leak via sunroof. Replacing the plastic pieces that are supposed to keep the water channelled but get worn down over time.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I will be removing mine. Will just bond a plate over the top. I guess no ones makes a sunroof bung for the 80.

I will be removing mine. Will just bond a plate over the top. I guess no ones makes a sunroof bung for the 80.
Once mine is out I will be spot welding a section cut from the rear roof section of the body.... the whole rear body is being removed.

I bolted a piece of aluminium checker plate over the sunroof hole on my old green 80. Worked fine apart from the condensation that would form and then drip on me!

I managed to get the whole sun roof out today. I then cut it up and remounted the bit the roof lining clips to, even the sliding cover is back in...... will be 'patching' the hole once the rear body is off and I'm able to cut a 'donor section' from the rear.

i-3jCBWDc-X2.jpg

I'm liking the sound of this chopping body off......

Me too, the Spanish will not have any of that though.

The MOT inspector nearly had a heart attack when I presented my car for it's second year test. He thought I had installed the sunroof! Turns out that during the import, someone did not notice the sun roof, so my paperwork has been updated.

You really can't make this up!

Regards

Dave

Back