Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80s series at auction

Well if anything the guy was finally true to his word. Lied quite a bit about it till then I’d say though.

£10-£13k bid or the auction house will have their own guy bid it up so it looks better but still won’t sell.

Last edited:
I have no idea why people still think that having every MOT cert is important.
If nothing else Chris it verifies the mileage and any problems there may have been in the past.

Well having an MOT certificate in fact only says that it passed. It could have failed three times before then; all it says is it passed finally. If the owner wants to include all the fail documents to show it had work done then that's up to them I guess. On a vehicle like this I agree that verifying the low mileage is good, but you still see this on 80's with 300k on the clock. I've never heard of anyone clocking a vehicle forwards!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well having an MOT certificate in fact only says that it passed. It could have failed three times before then; all it says is it passed finally. If the owner wants to include all the fail documents to show it had work done then that's up to them I guess. On a vehicle like this I agree that verifying the low mileage is good, but you still see this on 80's with 300k on the clock. I've never heard of anyone clocking a vehicle forwards!
The pass certificate would still show advisories though.

The pass certificate would still show advisories though.

MOT history for UK registered cars is available from around 2006 onward for free online at:

"https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history".

It lists all fails, passes, advisories and normally includes mileage. As well as the raw information you can get an idea of how loved a car was. E.g. seeing the same advisories cropping up year after year suggest to me that the owner is doing the bare minimum to keep the car going...

It lists all fails, passes, advisories and normally includes mileage. As well as the raw information you can get an idea of how loved a car was. E.g. seeing the same advisories cropping up year after year suggest to me that the owner is doing the bare minimum to keep the car going...
Absolutely right BJ

I’m not far from Brooklands and if I can I’ll go see the car, I’ve posted about it a few times and i want to see what a supposed mint 40k car looks like after it’s had rust issues. ;)

Could be a really interesting auction!

The auctioneer can legally bid up to the reserve price. The estimate has to be ho higher than the reserve. If the reserve in this case is set at £20k then it would only take one bidder willing to go to that figure for the car to sell. Then he has to pay any buyers premium on top. Typically the auctioneer gets 20-30% of the cars value in his pocket because not only does the seller pay commission but in my book the seller pays the buyers premium as the buyer adjusts his bid accordingly so he does not overall spend more than the car is worth to him.

Byron’s right that MOT history is very useful to establish the cars background. A decent seller would include all MOT documents giving the history further back (unless they’ve got something to hide.

I’ve seen a lot of supposedly perfect cruisers put up for sale yet when you check the history it show advisories year after year or corrosion listed on allegedly rust free examples.

40,000 miles in 23 years! You have to be a bit careful that various seals and gaskets haven't dried through lack of use. You might find yourself changing various things rather quickly once she gets some proper use.

Byron’s right that MOT history is very useful to establish the cars background. A decent seller would include all MOT documents giving the history further back (unless they’ve got something to hide.

I’ve seen a lot of supposedly perfect cruisers put up for sale yet when you check the history it show advisories year after year or corrosion listed on allegedly rust free examples.
This car isn’t hiding much now. We all know it had chassis rust problems. Which is odd as when it was first advertised for less than 20k it was said in the advert that this was a showroom demonstration model within Toyota. I can’t remember if it was chris or someone else pointed out quickly that it was off for a showroom car to have a tow bar and mot history showing severe chassis rust issues.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s shown to be treated and I’d buy it but I doubt it’s what they’re saying it is. Mot history may prove its a low mileage car.

Personally, I'd rather go and look at the vehicle as it stands in front of me. Past MOT history has little sway with me; I just feel it's overplayed.

I am sure we've all bought vehicles in the past that HAD an MOT but were dire when we started looking around. I have certainly worked on people's 80 with shocking faults. Chunks missing from discs and a 27mm socket in one caliper instead of a brake pad and zero handbrake function at all. Past MOT passes don't show how thorough the MOT was - that's my point really chaps.

I'd think that this one would need less that 5 mins inspection know if it was a minter or not. But even at that, £24k? Anyone?

Personally, I'd rather go and look at the vehicle as it stands in front of me. Past MOT history has little sway with me; I just feel it's overplayed.

I am sure we've all bought vehicles in the past that HAD an MOT but were dire when we started looking around. I have certainly worked on people's 80 with shocking faults. Chunks missing from discs and a 27mm socket in one caliper instead of a brake pad and zero handbrake function at all. Past MOT passes don't show how thorough the MOT was - that's my point really chaps.

I'd think that this one would need less that 5 mins inspection know if it was a minter or not. But even at that, £24k? Anyone?
No one wanted it at 18 or 25 on open market so I think it will fetch a lot less at auction unless the house bids it up to reserve and it still fails.

Al I can say is I know a lhd 80 with 57000km that sold for 70000 Euros 3 years ago...in stock condition.

Al I can say is I know a lhd 80 with 57000km that sold for 70000 Euros 3 years ago...in stock condition.

Really? 70k or 7k? If the former that’s bonkers and does it have an underlying history?

Back