Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80s series at auction

Really? 70k or 7k? If the former that’s bonkers and does it have an underlying history?

70k not 7, rumour it has been resold recently for more....

I must confess, I did see it and it was mint. It was from Italian origin and had zero and I mean zero rust....

I keep returning to the add trying to work out what it is that gives me a bad feeling about the truck :?

I can't define it but something doesn't add up for me and i'm not talking about the price :think: have the wheels been refurbished ? while dressing it up for sale did they decide a new exhaust might be a little over the top and so spoil the illusion ?

It's just a feeling but i tend to trust my instincts and i've just bought the step daughter an 09 Fiesta with 32k on the clock owned by an old lady who kept it garaged , its a very clean car but a glance underneath and its obviously a long way from new - but its honest rust of no concern .

Hmmm, imo some people put buying an old car down to witch craft and instinct. In the 80s case at least if it doesn't smoke, knock, have excessive back pressure, or oil in the header tank/ milky oil the engine is fine. Rot issues is a case of a keen visual inspection and common sense, as is how it feels and sounds to drive. diff, gearbox whines. Bushing knocks or excessive play in the steering, un even tyre wear etc.
For me the mot history is only to verify the mileage, maybe..
just my experience/opinion..

It's a bit of an enigma, this one. Some of it, like the interior seats, steering wheel etc look perfect. But then there is the rust, the refurb wheels, the lack of 'Turbo' stickers on the sides, and the missing battery cover from the passenger battery.

Personally, I'd rather go and look at the vehicle as it stands in front of me. Past MOT history has little sway with me; I just feel it's overplayed.

I am sure we've all bought vehicles in the past that HAD an MOT but were dire when we started looking around. I have certainly worked on people's 80 with shocking faults. Chunks missing from discs and a 27mm socket in one caliper instead of a brake pad and zero handbrake function at all. Past MOT passes don't show how thorough the MOT was - that's my point really chaps.

I'd think that this one would need less that 5 mins inspection know if it was a minter or not. But even at that, £24k? Anyone?

Hi Chris

As you say nothing beats a good inspection. I would happily buy a car without an MOT.

I find the online MOT history is very useful to help me decide whether or not I think it is worth going to take a look at a car. It is the Fails, Advisories and mileage pattern that I pay attention to.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
And of course that's very sensible.

I did buy an 80 though that had been effectively SORN'd for 8 years. It had no MOT history at all and even the DVLA didn't know where it was. So this feature wouldn't have been a great help. Turned out to be a cracking example. Even though it didn't actually have any drive at all.

I did buy an 80 though that had been effectively SORN'd for 8 years. It had no MOT history at all and even the DVLA didn't know where it was. So this feature wouldn't have been a great help. Turned out to be a cracking example. Even though it didn't actually have any drive at all.

Even now the aforementioned 80 series has one of the best condition rust free bodies out there arbeit a little scratched here and there.

Seems I've opened a can of worms :grin:. Just thought I'd post it up as something interesting, no offence intended.

@Bund - if you do go to Brooklands its £30 for the catalogue which includes entry for 2/3 people. Been to a few and its not a bad way to spend a morning, interesting to poke about the cars as well as the auction itself. Not seen a single Toyota, let alone a Landscruiser, in the last four auctions so will be interesting to see what this does.

I won't make this auction but the results are normally posted up on the site a few days after.

Seems I've opened a can of worms :grin:. Just thought I'd post it up as something interesting, no offence intended.

@Bund - if you do go to Brooklands its £30 for the catalogue which includes entry for 2/3 people. Been to a few and its not a bad way to spend a morning, interesting to poke about the cars as well as the auction itself. Not seen a single Toyota, let alone a Landscruiser, in the last four auctions so will be interesting to see what this does.

I won't make this auction but the results are normally posted up on the site a few days after.
You didn’t cause offence to any poster on the thread I doubt, it’s just a car that we’ve discussed a few times previously as it’s been for sale at 18k and 25k(in that order) and last time he put in the add that if it didn’t sell would be going to coys or Silverstone auction.

I’ll do my best to go as I’m in that part of the world, I’ll wear something scruffy and get under it :) with my very limited knowledge I’ll be able to report back if i deed it has 4 wheels and an engine. ;)

Yep, life is full of jokes like that :grinning:. The first 80 I ever owned I bought off UK eBay sight unseen with no other information other than the listing. I didn't even see it for 6 weeks as I was in Greece at the time; it was probably an overdose of Ouzo that prompted me to buy it :grimacing:.

Thinking back that was a pretty daft move. However it turned out that the bodywork and chassis was practically mint - certainly the cleanest 80 I have owned. Pity I lost the darn thing :cry:.

Yep, life is full of jokes like that :grinning:. The first 80 I ever owned I bought off UK eBay sight unseen with no other information other than the listing. I didn't even see it for 6 weeks as I was in Greece at the time; it was probably an overdose of Ouzo that prompted me to buy it :grimacing:.

Thinking back that was a pretty daft move. However it turned out that the bodywork and chassis was practically mint - certainly the cleanest 80 I have owned. Pity I lost the darn thing :cry:.
Lost - stolen?

My buying from eBay unseen was at the other end of your experience unfortunately :)

Lost - stolen?

My buying from eBay unseen was at the other end of your experience unfortunately :)

Sorry to hear that. The car I was referrring to was destroyed by fire. Actually I just realised it is the car in my profile pic to the left tackling a seriously interesting bit of track in Morocco.

Last edited:
A shame as looks seriously capable.

Will have an 80 myself one day.

Yep it was a great car. Persist and you will get the 80 you want. Good luck.
I’d have to achieve a record second hand price for my 70 first. :grimacing:

No no I’d be able to sell something else first if this 80 in question sells for close to what it’s really worth(half).

1995-toyota-landcruiser-80-series-vx-9.jpg
Looks to have had a respray

Bonnet insulation is missing, as for the difference in paint on the firewall and wind screen cowl my 80 is the same, the firewall and inner wings are matt and the cowl/exterior has lacquer so glossy.

Back