Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

91 LJ 78 Diesel Prado

stoicwisdom

Country Flag
united_states
Second Land Cruiser. First was 96 US model. Army Officer Just back from 3rd Iraq Tour. Heck, I seem to recall seeing endless versions of this. This one is great from Niche Motors, Nashville By Way of ATEB in Canada. Great outfits both! Usual Questions. Which Ellery Manual (2.4L Turbo)? . What are replacement Shocks-only thing needed (Old Man Emu??) and finally, do I shift to Hub Lock and High 4 on fly or in park or neutral? Thought about registering for Historic in MD. Why IS there a conspiracy against Diesels in this country.
Got it, I am not worthy... 91 LJ 78 Prado.jpg Teach me guys. Also, where to I get basic manual? Surely the Auzzies had one, where is it? Online things seem like scams. Anything on Disc??? ?Any suggestions in general?

Hi SW and welcome to the forum i think you might be the first member on here to own a 70 series in the USA but i'm sure someone can suggest a good workshop manual , Haynes and Max Ellery seem to cover various models under one cover so its finding one that specifically mentions your engine which i will guess is a 2LT ?

I suspect not too many own - yet. . I think it is because people are NOW importing the 25 year old versions. 2.4 Liter turbocharged usually in Hillux. Let me check. Clean isn't it?

It is clean and your lucky to get a pic up on your first post usually forum rules will not allow it until after you have posted 15 times ?

Welcome to the club. :thumbup:

Nice LJ78. :clap:

Is there not a small A5 size manual with the vehicle?

There should be and that will detail all the basics regarding putting it in 4wd while still moving. :icon-smile:

I'm not sure about the electronic locking front hubs, but certainly the 4wd switch next to the steering wheel can be pressed while driving. For changing into low, you really need to stop though as even at slow speeds, which the manual says you can change at, it sometimes grinds the gears a little. :icon-ugeek:

I'm not sure if OME actually do front shock absorbers for these later LJ70's. Certainly Dobinsons do though and Ironman.

Regarding manuals I would steer clear of Hayes or Max Ellery as they dont cover this specific model as it was never sold in Australia and only in very small numbers in the UK.

You can get proper factory service manuals (FSM's) from Toyota. I have them all and theres about 7 A4 size books in total that go into a lot of detail.

You should be able to find them all online if you search "LJ70 FSM PDF".

If you dont manage to find them send me your email address and I will email you all the PDF copies I have. :icon-wink:

Beautiful bus, same colours as my old one (check the link in my sig). I'm told Max Ellery did cover the RJ78 (petrol version) which may be of help, the manual that came with it was enough for me though as jobs on these are largely self explanatory.

The electric front hubs are prone to failure, if you can source some manual ones, get them. Or YouTube "how to permanently engage LJ78 front hubs" for a simple way to remove them from the equation. Of course if they're working you needn't bother. You need to be stationary to engage the hubs, once that's done you can engage 4wd on the fly. You really need to be stationary to select low range.

I can vouch for Dobinson's suspension, the uprated kit I had was streets ahead of the stock setup even without a load on board. Ironman also seem to get good reviews.

I recommend you check the colour of your coolant, the main problem people have with the 2.4 is corroded components in the cooling system causing blockages and/or leaks. If you're running Toyota red coolant and all the hoses and rad are in good condition you'll be fine. Any doubt about what coolant you're running, flush it through.

Fantastic trucks, I miss my old one like crazy

Jim.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice to see more diesel cruisers joining me on this side of the planet :lol: Welcome!

Nice Cruiser :thumbup:

I have an LJ79 which is almost the same as yours but has a 2.8ltr n/a 3L engine (which I turboed with all parts from same engine as yours). Basically same as Jimbo said, have a look at the coolant system and make sure there is correct flow. You don't want to over-heat it as the 2.4 is quite known to damage the cylinder head. If that happens though (hope it never does!) find yourself a 2.8 3L head. Apparently it is better then the 2.4 and breaks less easily. You could also install an EGT (exhaust gas temperature) gauge to monitor while towing heavy loads or going on long hilly trips.

Regarding suspension, I have an Ironman 2" lift and its ok. At first i had a problem, after a year installed my van started to lean a bit to the driver's side but now I put in some spring spacers to level it out and it seems ok. Ride wise they're good and much better then its original setup. This is how it currently looks;

IMG_4327.JPG IMG_4308.JPG

IMG_4327.JPG IMG_4308.JPG

92 - LJ78W - finally on the road today, rebuild consisted of replacing the 24lte engine with a rebuilt 3l. The more time I spend upon the 78 the more I like it. Stay Safe out there folks!

Attachments

• IMAG0239.jpg
    IMAG0239.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 1,077
  • IMAG0240.jpg
    IMAG0240.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 1,090
I so love the look of these LWB 70s. They remind me of the mk1 Shogun I had. Inside and out. :)

SW, that is one cracking looking truck. :blush:

Second Land Cruiser. First was 96 US model. Army Officer Just back from 3rd Iraq Tour. Heck, I seem to recall seeing endless versions of this. This one is great from Niche Motors, Nashville By Way of ATEB in Canada. Great outfits both! Usual Questions. Which Ellery Manual (2.4L Turbo)? . What are replacement Shocks-only thing needed (Old Man Emu??) and finally, do I shift to Hub Lock and High 4 on fly or in park or neutral? Thought about registering for Historic in MD. Why IS there a conspiracy against Diesels in this country.
Got it, I am not worthy... View attachment 36978 Teach me guys. Also, where to I get basic manual? Surely the Auzzies had one, where is it? Online things seem like scams. Anything on Disc??? ?Any suggestions in general?

Yours and mine could be twins ( though mine is the shorter 2 door model). Same paint and looks like the same condition as well. RHdrive from JAPAN. I have been looking for an owner's manual since last October. No luck.

I will check back here and see if you do any better. All interior decals are in Japanese.

Hi Ben can you send me FSMs that you have? Does it include the 2lte engine?

Need it for my Lj78 here in Manila.. [email protected]

There should be and that will detail all the basics regarding putting it in 4wd while still moving. :icon-smile:

I'm not sure about the electronic locking front hubs, but certainly the 4wd switch next to the steering wheel can be pressed while driving. For changing into low, you really need to stop though as even at slow speeds, which the manual says you can change at, it sometimes grinds the gears a little. :icon-ugeek:

I'm not sure if OME actually do front shock absorbers for these later LJ70's. Certainly Dobinsons do though and Ironman.

Regarding manuals I would steer clear of Hayes or Max Ellery as they dont cover this specific model as it was never sold in Australia and only in very small numbers in the UK.

You can get proper factory service manuals (FSM's) from Toyota. I have them all and theres about 7 A4 size books in total that go into a lot of detail.

If you dont manage to find them send me your email address and I will email you all the PDF copies I have. :icon-wink:

Just emailed them all across to you Henry. :thumbup:

Thanks so much Ben. My unit is converted from RHD to LHD and wiring is a mess, sorted it out but still getting the ac amplifier to work with the ecu and whole ac system.

You're welcome Henry, good luck with fixing it. :thumbup:

I'm not sure I sent you the aircon one, I will send it you now if not. ;)

I've had no luck finding FSM's for the LJ78. :doh:

I suspect their arnt any printed in English as the LJ78 wasnt sold in many markets outside of Japan. :think:

I havent even got an owners manual for mine. :(

But most of the it is covered in the other LJ70 ones, which should be available for download at the top of the screen if you click on "Downloads". :thumbup:

Dear Ben
Hi
I am a new member and also a new owner of a LJ78 JDM, every thing is in Japanese, I will be very great full if you can kindly share you user and maintrnence manuals with me,
Anjum
[email protected]

I've had no luck finding FSM's for the LJ78. :doh:

I suspect their arnt any printed in English as the LJ78 wasnt sold in many markets outside of Japan. :think:

I havent even got an owners manual for mine. :(

But most of the it is covered in the other LJ70 ones, which should be available for download at the top of the screen if you click on "Downloads". :thumbup:

I’d love a copy as well- just got a 1995 Prado diesel here in Japan (325,000 km, but in great shape), will be bringing back with me when I go back to the states (I have the manual but it’s in Japanese, of course) have absolutely loved driving it thus far

Btollis @ g.clemson.edu (no spaces)

5877DAF7-7D7D-420C-831D-DB62C71DCEE1.jpeg

Reactions: Ben
Back