Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

95 Body Lift

Hey Shayne,

Call it the Isle of White to an Isle of Wight 'er and you'll be in deep do do!

Hey Shayne,

Call it the Isle of White to an Isle of Wight 'er and you'll be in deep do do!

OK Clive spill the beans what do locals call the rock ?

Google say's "the island" which is no good to me coz i'm from "the island" and now live on the mainland .

Which is local speak to say i'm from the Isle of Man and now live in the UK .

Last edited:
No problem Shayne, just the spelling ... it's the Isle of Wight nothing to do with the colour White!

"Initially, the Romans called the Isle of Wight, the Island Vectis. In the Anglo-Saxon chronicle it is Wihte ealond, Wihtland or Wiht, followed by further variations"

I hope you enjoy your visit, it's a great place. My Mother was born and raised there and I have very happy memories of the place, having spent every minute of all my schoolboy summer holidays camping on my uncle's dairy farm there. Us kids used to play in Yafford water mill while it was working, as my Mother's uncle was the tenant custodian of the mill in the 60's and 70's. :icon-wink:

Last edited:
Sorry to say it Clive but we booked 2 weeks and stayed only 5 days . It turned out to be a trip to the seaside which might for some prove to be an enjoyable weekend break , unfortunately Helen and I both grew up within spitting distance of the sea so the place was wasted on us . Sadly we walked out of the ticket office having booked a 9am return ferry for the following day to find a couple of lads taking a keen interest in my truck , both LR owners and keen off-roaders they invited me to join them the following day at some local tracks :doh:

Last edited:
That's a bit sad Shayne, sorry to here that. It's hard if you don't know a place very well, like most places, those in the know can take you to places that look nothing on a map and don't appear at all in the brochures.

I'm with you on the seaside thingy, I was born in Birmingham, jut about the furthest place from the seaside in the UK.

As I don't like cities much at all, when I got the chance to move to Cardigan for a 3 year job, I jumped at it! Loved the place and ended up buying a cute stone cottage in a small village called Hermon (y-Glogue). It was Welsh speaking which I learned very little, but I managed to make very good friends there. I had 2 boats, a 16 ft 2 berth sailing boat and a little ski boat with a Suzi twin 60 HP 2 stroke outboard.

I had a ball sailing and skiing on the Teifi with friends. We BBQd at Gwbert and did loads of sea/beach related stuff. Moved to Swansea (Grovesend) and continued the fun on the Gower this time. 15 years spent in West/South Wales, loved it.

Now you have to drag me to the beach! My passion is the mountains, bikes & 4x4.

All part of life's rich pattern.

The IOW has more than seaside to offer, but you really need a local guide to see the best of it.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I'm gonna guess you haven't been there for a while Clive , being from an Island myself i know how to get off the beaten track but staying at St Helens made traveling uphill virtually impossible and every unmarked lane or track either ended at a private residence , a dead end , or a campsite . It's a beautiful place and a city slickers heaven i guess but i'm inclined to think the Islands answer to the credit crunch is wholesale commercialization . The Isle of Man is the same , once famed for its laid back attitude and pubs that have hardly changed in 200 years . They have for sometime been systematically removing anything and everything that endears the place to visitors .

Nevermind nothing ventured nothing gained , i don't regret going it was an experience and all experience is good .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Body lift is fitted and i have mixed feelings about it , i'm thinking tyres need to be bigger and my once extremely light steering is now much stiffer . I've heard this can cause problems but i can still steer with a finger and thumb gripping the wheel so i'm just gonna hope ,without much sincerity , it frees up a bit with time . Front bumper will need some tweaking to fit properly as will the back . Gear and diff stick are fine as i only went up 40mm and so is the rad though the fan guard will need some brackets made up before it can be refitted .

Looks good ..... but i can't help wondering if it looked better before the lift ?

Nevermind its done now i will get some pics up tomorrow after i've refitted the sidesteps .

Changed my mind , sidesteps are on and all my doubts have gone :icon-biggrin:
lift003_zps7ec1ea5d.jpg
lift005_zps6c045985.jpg

Do body lifts require a spacer on steering links? Or loosening some bolts on the steering before lift and tightening afterwards?

Lift pics look good.
I thought about body lift on my LC. But then it wouldnt fit in the garage as had suspension lift and taller tyres

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Believe it or not Andy the lift only added about an inch but visually the change is dramatic .

Mind you following the instructions kindly recorded by Chris i noticed my truck differed to lil blue as his body was sat directly on the chassis (if i recall correctly) and kinda glued with some sort insulator perhaps to dampen vibration or sound . Mine was was sat on rubber pads and required no "unsticking" so to speak , only the bolts held it in place .

Perhaps this is why i managed to fit 285/75 coopers right from the start without any lift at all ?

Last edited:
Yes mine was gummed together with foam but it wasn't actually sitting on the chassis as such. I would have another look at the steering Shayne. I know what you mean about it being tighter. That is essentially binding. I'd slacken all the grub screws off on the slide joints etc and give it some lock to lock stuff to try and settle it. If it slackens off I'd suggest that that was wear somewhere. It shouldn't be like that. Mine was and I got it back to original. I think the Milner spacer is perhaps a little too thick. Also you do have to watch the spigots on the rag joint aren't binding inside the spacer, but that's probably included in the fitting guide. It was written a long time ago.

Chris

Yeah cheers Chris i been thinking about it and as its tightly bolted together it stands to reason that it can only free up by wearing out other components . Do you think it would help to slacken everything and do a few figure of 8's in a carpark somewhere ? . I can't help thinking the longer bolts plus the larger hole in body spacers might very easily allow the body to sit a good few mil off centre so when you turn the steering it is effectively trying to compress the steering spacer if you get what i mean .

What i meant about the rubber pads on chassis is i effectively had around a 10mm lift already on the truck from new straight out of the factory . The new 40mm spacers make these pads redundant so i ended up with a 30mm lift from a 40mm spacer .

Last edited:
Is it possible Milners have failed to consider the redundant chassis/body damper while producing the lift kit ?

As i said earlier the 40mm lift actually gave me a 30mm lift so surely the steering spacer should in fact be 30mm . I can't hope to file that off !

Shayne, I actually think the binding is in the length of the column. There are tow? slip joints from memory and originally I didn't have a spacer. I jacked it up and the steering was really tight. I undid the joint by the exhaust and PING it really went. This is when I got a spacer sorted. I bought two different lengths and used the shorter one. The other I gave to Milner who made copies but I did tell them to make it shorter. I don't know if they ever did that. So the chances are that the column is now a bit too long. Every vehicle is subtly different you know. As the slip joint gets set at the factory and rusts in place, there is a good chance that it won't take up all the play in the system. I moved mine, cleaned it, greased it etc until it was really free. Really, if you had time and patience, I'd say clean all that then measure the max and min gap at the rag joint pull pulling and pushing the steering rod in an out. Then take the middle point of that and machine the spacer to the right thickness. A 40 mm lift doesn't equate to a 40mm shortfall in the rod. It's a diagonal isn't . Think of a square. 40mm square isn't 40mm corner to corner. Too short is a problem but so is too long.

By the way, the truck looks phenomenal.

Cheers Chris ,
I realize all trucks are different but all have a space created by the factory damping whichever method is used , and all steering columns are equal in length so i would assume the spacers being 10mm to big is reasonably accurate , the age of the trucks and inherent wear would prob make a 32mm steering spacer ideal don't you think ?

I guess the quickest way forward for me is to jack it up again , remove the steering spacer , tighten the body spacers , measure the gap and get the steering spacer machined down to size .

You don't need to jack it up to get the spacer out. You can just undo that lot and remove it. Slacken the joints in the rod and then measure up the min and max gap. But first just make sure that the slip joints are fully moving or you could be wasting your time.

But I know that lots of people have fitted this kit and some have had problems and some haven't. It won't be much out I am sure, but the slight differences from one vehicle to the next could be sufficient to create a problem for some.

Not sure how a 40 mm spacer block can only give 30mm lift thought. That's against the laws of physics. The body HAS to be 40mm more off the chassis now. The measurement at the arch to the tyre isn't necessarily reflective of this because of all sorts of other things.

Sorted and much ado about nothing i'm embarrassed to say . You were right Chris with the slip joint , i loosened off the lock nut when i unbolted everything to fit the steering spacer but i didn't actually check it was free assuming power steering would easily shift it . This time with the spacer out i gave it a tap with a hammer and oiled it so it offered no resistance to sliding at all . Sat the steering spacer in place then tightened all the body spacers again . Then tightened the steering spacer bolts - drove the truck around the block , then tightened the the sliding joint lock nut .

Still i agree with your opinion the spacer is too big , the slider cannot go up any further so maybe you should suggest again to Milners they trim 5mm off .

Nevermind i had to remove plastics and lift carpets and all sorts again to get it all back together , may as well have fitted another lift but hey i'm sure my mistakes will help others avoid having to do the same .

30mm wheel spacers wanted .

Will be ordering some tomorrow but would rather give my money to someone on here .

Awesome. Good news.

On the Milners front, sorry but I have better things to waste my breath on Shayne. I told them this 5 years ago when I gave them the spacer. They didn't listen then. If I ever did another one which is unlikely in the extreme, I'd machine it down a bit first before fitting just to make it all a bit easier.

Glad you are sorted. Thought that might be the culprit.

Back