Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A beginner services the 80 series front axle

ByronJ

Country Flag
wales
Inspired by Chris's recent article on his front axle I decided it was time I serviced the front axle on my 1991 80 series. I read Andrew's very helpful thread 'Rebuilding the 80 series front axle' and on Sunday 16th of February 2014 started the job; yes I know a Sunday re-build is pushing the boundaries a bit but it was a big help that it was the second sunny day this year.

This axle was rebuilt at Overland Cruisers in July 2012 with new seals and bearings. In the 18 months since I have covered a little over 20, 000 miles, about 20% of that on bad roads / no roads. Nevertheless I was not expecting to find any problems other than needing to clean up and repack the knuckle with grease.

Although I am a beginner at this kind of stuff I found I was enjoying myself, even after it took me 45 minutes to remove a corroded split pin :icon-redface:. There are some questions sprinkled through this post. They are mainly there to remind me to investigate these things further but I would be very grateful if anyone cares to shed some light on them for me. In addition if I am doing things wrong then please feel free to point me in the right direction.

I was a little shocked when I removed the drain plug from the differential and nothing happened! Oh no! Was it running dry? Was it because I had left the wheels on :lol:? After a few seconds thick green gunk started to ooze out and eventually I had nearly 5 litres of muck in the pan. I guess the inner axle seals have failed? Ah well.

Contaminated diff oil.JPG

After a few hours dismantling my garage and car ended up looking like this.

Dismantled.JPG

The smaller parts (at least the ones I did not lose) are sitting in pans of diesel. So I have a fair bit of cleaning up ahead after I order up new seals etc. There was plenty of runny grease inside the knuckles yet the inside face of the knuckle upper and lower swivel races have a light rust discolouration on their inner faces, otherwise the bearings look fine. The inner faces of the cannon balls also have a light rust discolouration.

Rust on inner of cannon ball.JPG

It looks to me as if water is prevented from entering the inside face of the cannon ball only by the felt and rubber washers running along the outside of the ball. This is not a great seal and so the system looks to be relying on the grease packed into the ball to repel water. I assume that, over time, the moly grease absorbs a little water allowing some corrosion to occur. As my grease is contaminated with oil will that makes water ingress more likely?

Please ignore the following paragraph as I was mistaken (that is the kindest way I can put it :oops:) - I have left the sentence there so other peoples comments on it make sense...

"The swivel races did not need to be knocked out at all. Is this normal or an indication that the pre-load on the races was insufficient?"

The OUTER race did need knocking out...

After I had removed the steering linkage and shafts I rotated the knuckle to see how it felt. It moved smoothly enough but there was a noticeable difference as the knuckle passed through the straight ahead position, it felt like a lever when passing through a detent (light lock position). Is this normal or an indication of some wear somewhere?

For anybody inexperienced reading this I found the following helpful:

I used a 750mm breaker bar to start the larger nuts. This was a joy to use, allowing me to starts the nuts easily and under control. None of that hammering, or using a (slippery) ring spanner to extend, the socket bar.

After the differential had stopped dripping I jacked up the left hand side of the axle (long shaft) to remove the wheel and noticed loads more gunk started dripping out of the diff as the side of the axle was lifted up. I left it like that until it was time to work on the right hand side. On re-assembling I intend to put the left hand wheel back on first so that when I lower the car down onto that wheel any remaining gunk in the right hand (short shaft) will be encourage to drip out.

Now I need to order some seals from Toyota and find a reasonable source for Koyo bearings - Toyota want an arm and a leg for bearings.

Last edited:
Nice work. :thumbup:

I've never come across kingpin bearing races that don't require knocking out. :think:

How loose were they? :?

loose kingpin races does sound odd. Remember mine needed a decent whack to get out.

Little surprised, assuming OEM inner seals where used, that they failed at 20,000 miles regardless of roads.
Did you notice a lot of oil/gunge around your inner tyres before rebuild?

Would be having a look at your axle shafts were they run inside the inner seal for signs of wear groove.
I ended up having to go back into my axle and replacing my shafts to get a good seal.

CVs/bearings worth a good look at if they have been running in contaminated moly.
I found www.derbybearings.co.uk good for replacements.

loose kingpin races does sound odd. Remember mine needed a decent whack to get out.

Little surprised, assuming OEM inner seals where used, that they failed at 20,000 miles regardless of roads.
Did you notice a lot of oil/gunge around your inner tyres before rebuild?

Would be having a look at your axle shafts were they run inside the inner seal for signs of wear groove.
I ended up having to go back into my axle and replacing my shafts to get a good seal.

CVs/bearings worth a good look at if they have been running in contaminated moly.
I found www.derbybearings.co.uk good for replacements.

There was no oil or gunge around the tyres so I assumed all was ok. Thanks for the link re bearings. I will check out my shafts and cv joints later.

Well done that man. On a Sunday too, straight in. One tip for stuck split pins. It may sound barbarian, but you can lose hours on one of those - pop the socket on, a good 6 sided one s best and use the breaker bar and just turn until it shears off the remainder of the split pin. They re pretty weak and the castle nut just cuts them off.

Loose outer kingpin races :shock: errr

Straight ahead position detent, yep pretty common. I think that this is a process called Brinelling (according to our resident engineer, Rob) You can see the impressions in the race usually. New swivels with make ir feel great but you may notice it not running so straight when you let go of the wheel. The detent effect is quite handy.

I use Milner for bearings and haven't had an issue but then I haven't drive 200 000 miles on a set to prove they are as good as OEM. My view is that the wheels and swivels get such a poor life exposed to rain and salt etc that I'd probably do all this as a matter of course on a pretty regular basis. If you took a hub, put it on a rig under load and ran it in a workshop I'd expect it to run for a very long time. If I then sprayed it with water, salt, mud, grit etc, I wouldn't give much for its chances. They're a service consumable.

Surprised the inner seals have gone. 20k for them isn't much so there may be an additional factor as KH has indicated already.

Keep us posted

Nice work. :thumbup:

I've never come across kingpin bearing races that don't require knocking out. :think:

How loose were they? :?

Thanks for your reply, it made me look again. Think I am being an idiot :doh:. I just realised the bearings are in two parts. It was the race containing the rollers that dropped out. The cone they run in is still firmly in the hub - oops.. Sometimes I wonder how I get through the day :oops:.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Byron, in that last picture you haven't removed the kingpin outer races - I am guessing you did that later? Forgive the suggestion here, you know we have to check sanity sometimes, but these are the parts that you said were loose ...

ahhh haaaaah! You beat me to it.

Totally forgiven Chris. It must have been the sun beating down that melted my brain... :icon-rolleyes:.

Looking further ahead, assuming you are going to replace the bearings, I found the new kingpin bearings were quite a tight fit on the pins. Had almost convinced myself they had sent me the wrong size. They will slide back down with much patience and blasphemy, just make sure they are going on straight.

May also sound daft but when replacing the wheel bearing races in the hub, make sure have them the correct way round before whacking in. Few folk I have heard off put them in upside down. Reckon would be a pigs ass to get out again.

Looking further ahead, assuming you are going to replace the bearings, I found the new kingpin bearings were quite a tight fit on the pins. Had almost convinced myself they had sent me the wrong size. They will slide back down with much patience and blasphemy, just make sure they are going on straight.

May also sound daft but when replacing the wheel bearing races in the hub, make sure have them the correct way round before whacking in. Few folk I have heard off put them in upside down. Reckon would be a pigs ass to get out again.

Thanks KH. Based on my current progress I can see why you remind me to put the bearings in the right way up! Its a fair cop :laughing-rolling:.

My comment is certainly not meant as a smart arse dig.

I was in your place 3 years ago pulling my axle apart for the first time. I was on the verge of putting the wheel bearing race back in upside down before caught myself on.

If I think of any other near stuff ups I made, I'll pass on.

Cheers,
Dave

My comment is certainly not meant as a smart arse dig.

I was in your place 3 years ago pulling my axle apart for the first time. I was on the verge of putting the wheel bearing race back in upside down before caught myself on.

If I think of any other near stuff ups I made, I'll pass on.

Cheers,
Dave

Cheers Dave, I did not take your comment as any kind of a dig at all :icon-biggrin:. I appreciate all suggestions and pointers - I certainly need them.

Byron

Looks like you're doing just fine.
One more tip. When you come to slide the drive shafts back in, do the short one first. It's generally easier and gives you a practice run. The long side can sometimes be a bit of a pig. You need to get the end of the shaft to levitate in the axle so that it goes into the diff. All without stuffing up the new oil seal.

I'll second that. But I have machined mine to fit the range of seals and bearings exactly. Well, I was bored.

Just thought, if you decide to swap/change your CVs, take a trip down to your local scaffolding company.
If you ask nicely enough they might give you a scaffolding pipe for nowt.

Is perfect weight/dimensions to separate the CVs/shafts in one wack.
Never tried the FSM way of using a vice/drift but the pipe is real effective.

How's the love of my life Byron ?

Well Brian, I assume you mean the pretty green landcruiser I bought from you :icon-biggrin:. I have christened her LC (pronounced Elsee) and she is doing fine. Currently she is happy to run me around while I work on my grey overland cruiser Mr T - named by a friend of mine who had no idea this refered to the Toyota corporation :whistle:. The name amused me so much it has stuck. Good to hear your hand is healing but I guess it will be a long process.

Byron

Just thought, if you decide to swap/change your CVs, take a trip down to your local scaffolding company.
If you ask nicely enough they might give you a scaffolding pipe for nowt.

Is perfect weight/dimensions to separate the CVs/shafts in one wack.
Never tried the FSM way of using a vice/drift but the pipe is real effective.
Thanks Dave, funny you should mention that but I have just bought a four foot length of scaffolding pipe from my local scrapyard for £2.00 for exactly that purpose!!! I should give it my first WHACK tomorrow :icon-wink:. Cheers.

Byron

Back