Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A clunk on gear change

@Shayne once I drop the drive shafts to change the UJs, am I going to run into any issues reinstalling it by hand?

Just thinking that the sliding part of the rear driveshaft that takes out the slack will be putting a fair bit of force on the rear diff and transfer case, and I might struggle to overcome this myself...

Think one man under a truck in his driveway....

Nah i didn't have a clue what i was doing the first time and nobody to pass me a spanner either , theres no weight/pressure holding it in just the bolts .

Mark it so if you do what i did picking it up forgetting its two parts letting the inner shaft fall out you can slide it back in on the same splines where it was balanced at the factory .

Brilliant, thank you.

Had a look the other day and fairly certain it’s been off before - stainless bolts at one end and some patches where it’s likely been spot welded.

Cheers again

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hmmm i was about to add the bolts are splined though its as soft as margarine so turn the nuts rather than the bolts but it doesn't really matter because without knowing until it was off and turning both ends i still reused them without problems .

"Welded" would have me searching ebay for a used replacement prop at the very least especially if i was investigating a clunk .

@Shayne i meant where it’s been balanced prior to my ownership.

Dropped the rear prop shaft tonight and the UJs are all freely moving and no issues there.

Prop shaft splines are good (rememebered to mark them). I’ll grease it all up and put it back together and repeat with the front prop shaft.

What grease do you use? I recently greased with lithium grease but will try lithium-molybdenum this time to see if it changes the outcome.

Whatever grease is in the gun does me for that job , it wouldn't be routine maintenance if it was expected to stay in there long :confusion-shrug:

So in the past few weeks I have:

- Removed both prop shafts, cleaned them out and regreased
- Checked the connections at the diffs and transfer box for play
- Changed the front and rear diff oil
- Changed out the front sway bar bushes

No issues found and still had a massive clunk on gear change... caved in and took it to the mechanics who do my MOT. Took them a few hours but they found the culprit...

My RHS rear radius arm has a bush with a slight split in it and it's allowing the rear diff to rotate about the axis and causing a bit of a slab when the bolt comes into contact with the bush cylinder. Solution? Nip the nut tighter...problem solved.

I couldn't be happier :D

Back