Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A most excellent 50 series

Matt Wright

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Hi guys

I thought this might be of interest. It's not a technical post, but one I think celebrates the 50 series :thumbup: . We encountered this truck on the edge of the Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania in 2011

Very cool to see it cruising around and going everywhere we went!
enjoy!

awesome50.jpg

Just the one pic??? :evil:

A very nice one though :cool:

Neat roof crate dude :p

Har Har! Made from free scrap and it made it all the way! Waterproof, sun proof and wind proof aka the "sail" :(

Might have a couple more pics..

Hope those jerries are for water - could be "exciting" in a crash if they're full of petrol :angry-extinguishflame:
Great truck though and nice to see an old timer like that in its natural environment.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
anyone else think there fugly? :whistle:

40 series..............YES! :drool:

60 series...............Yes! :clap:

but really not a fan of the 50 series! :thumbdown:

Johnnie's 55.

PICT0145.jpg

Ben, the word we use is unique :lol: Personally I do like the 55 - look at that pic of Jonnie's, you can see various lines that have been pinched by other designers of other marques. The boot/rear section and range rover? The rake of the front windscreen and even some of the bonnet shape was used in the 70 series (Jim's truck behind gives a nice reference :D ). The close-set headlights reminiscent of the original BJ25.

What surprises me is how uncommon they were - what else in the 70s even came close in terms of SUV-type vehicles? Yes there were LR's but they were even worse than todays' versions and stationwagons were not too common (in South Africa anyway). The 55 must have had close to double the power of the LRs of that era.
I can only think it was a marketing issue - Toyota (LC) got smarter about pushing their wares to the urban market.

If I had somewhere dry to store a 55 and one was available, I'd have it in a heartbeat!

Nah I'm with Ben, FUGLY as can be

I don't think they are particularly 'ugly' but do think it looks a bit like a kit car or maybe that is just because of this ones colour scheme. :think:

Not a good looker by any stretch of the imagination.

The SWB 70 is far better looking, as is the 40 series.

Not quite taken on the 60 series, but palatable.

Still don't like the FJ.

Gra.

fugly

the father to the 55 series ...
if you take the 77/78 HD and set it beside the 55 you will see what i mean. even the 78 in the back ground of this pic shows the heritage quite well...
i have owned a couple of the old 55s and still have a soft spot for them. the "little bastard child that you stick in the corner and feed with a slingshot" of the Land Cruiser family.

anyone else think there fugly? :whistle:

40 series..............YES! :drool:

60 series...............Yes! :clap:

but really not a fan of the 50 series! :thumbdown:

Johnnie's 55.

PICT0145.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah the Japs occasionally made strange looking vehicles

didn't Austin copy the headlights for the Healey Sprite? :)

I wouldn't say no to a virgin 55 but they don't exist here

Wery rare car!!! Nice and hawe own sharm...

Back