Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

"A/T temp light" coming on but then goes off when engine is started

cuiserboy

Country Flag
england
Hi guys,

Been a while since I posted but the cruiser's been running fine and I didn't have much to say :).

A few days ago though I started to get the A/T temp light on and the check engine light when the key's in the ignition but the engine isn't running. The lights go off at that point. So I don't think there's anything actually wrong with the AT (and fluid looks fine when checking via dipstick).

Anyone come across this before? The truck is running fine but really don't like seeing "engine check" light on even if it goes off when engine is running. I also scanned the OBD 2 port and no faults are showing there. I wonder if maybe it's a sensor issue somewhere. Checked what feels like a thousand threads on this but haven't found any that closely matched this issue.

Hi guys,

Been a while since I posted but the cruiser's been running fine and I didn't have much to say :).

A few days ago though I started to get the A/T temp light on and the check engine light when the key's in the ignition but the engine isn't running. The lights go off at that point. So I don't think there's anything actually wrong with the AT (and fluid looks fine when checking via dipstick).

Anyone come across this before? The truck is running fine but really don't like seeing "engine check" light on even if it goes off when engine is running. I also scanned the OBD 2 port and no faults are showing there. I wonder if maybe it's a sensor issue somewhere. Checked what feels like a thousand threads on this but haven't found any that closely matched this issue.
Hi,

You can't find anything on the thousands of threads or on your OBD 2 port, because there is nothing wrong, it's quite normal and you've just not noticed it before, the only dash light that comes on whith the ign for a while then goes off is the Airbag or is it ABS or both, as soon as you start the engine all the warning lights go off, the only two that stay on are the gear position indicator and the AHC position indicator, both in a nice shade or Sherwood green.

The time to panic is when any of the dash warning warning lights illuminate while the engine is running, or you are driving.

:thumbup::icon-biggrin:

Yes but the "check engine" light also comes on at that point, and that concerned me the most. I'm not sure if I've seen the "A/T temp" light stay on like that before. Obviously a number of lights show when the key's in the ignition but then they go out (this is prior to starting the engine).

I'm not overly concerned as they do disappear when the engine is running, but it's definitely something that wasn't happening before.

Yes but the "check engine" light also comes on at that point, and that concerned me the most. I'm not sure if I've seen the "A/T temp" light stay on like that before. Obviously a number of lights show when the key's in the ignition but then they go out (this is prior to starting the engine).

I'm not overly concerned as they do disappear when the engine is running, but it's definitely something that wasn't happening before.
As I said, if they all go out and stay out once the engine is running then all is fine, Google 'When should engine light go out', or 'come on' and you will see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh god you’re right. I’m an idiot. I just got it into my head that this was something new. Thanks for responding so civilly rather than saying (correctly) “you pillock!” :)

Oh god you’re right. I’m an idiot. I just got it into my head that this was something new. Thanks for responding so civilly rather than saying (correctly) “you pillock!”
:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling: Your welcome :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling: To err is human, to forgive divine.

I’m always right, except when I’m wrong, so a wise man once said. :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oh god you’re right. I’m an idiot. I just got it into my head that this was something new. Thanks for responding so civilly rather than saying (correctly) “you pillock!” :)
I'll leave it to the other less civilised members to call you names, like 'plonker' or 'dipstick', I would never suggest that 'you should have gone to Specsavers' :text-dope:

The backstory to this is was that I was messing around using low range gears recently, and a day or so later when I fired it up I got some awful gear meshing sound when trying to pull away. It fixed itself once I turned everything off and ensured the low range gears was fully in the right slot etc. Since then that light and the engine check light caught my attention, and I put 2+ 2 together and came up with 42. God I feel dumb now...

The backstory to this is was that I was messing around using low range gears recently, and a day or so later when I fired it up I got some awful gear meshing sound when trying to pull away. It fixed itself once I turned everything off and ensured the low range gears was fully in the right slot etc. Since then that light and the engine check light caught my attention, and I put 2+ 2 together and came up with 42. God I feel dumb now...
Don't worry, we have all 'put a foot in our mouth' more than once in our lives, I know I have.

On the other hand, while your talking about fiddling with 'Low Range'. What I do every couple of months is..... in the local council fitness centre (very, very large car park, never full) engage low range, centre difflock and rear difflock, drive very slowly and extra slowly when turning as outer rear wheel drags, I do this to keep everthing oiled and free, also helps the rear difflock actuator from seizing, as this can be a problem if not used on a semi regulaly basis.

Also, I execpt you know this already, only engage 'low range' when in 'Park' or 'Neutral', I think the reason you had an "awful gear meshing sound when trying to pull away" was that you had not engaged the 'low range' back into 'H' fully, so It's best to fiddle with the 'H' 'L' leaver not only while in 'P' or 'N' but with the engine running to.

Now go and have a beer or two and chill, and stop feeling 'Dumb'.

But never forget, the whole world has read this thread. :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

Good Luck.

Back