Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ABS light stays on...

Chrisvespec

My ABS light has started to come on after a few hundred yards of driving, got it on the ramps, pulled both plugs off on the front, cleaned as best i could, plugged back on but still same ploblem....any ideas peoples...!!

Happens to us all in the end. If you have the older type sensor, you can remove a shim that allows the sensor tip to get a little closer to the rotor. When you say pulled off the plugs, do you mean that you pulled the sensor out of the hub? Worth doing that and giving the tip a clean. As tey are magnetic, bits of metal get stuck in the sensor tip making it work poorly. After all of that - it's new sensor time. But if you do the test on the ABS system, it will tell you which sensor is giving you a problem. Check service manual for the test. Very simple.

Chris

Not sure what type it is...the truck is a 97 24v TD so would have thought it has the later type, think i will remove senser and give it a clean...

Wait til the abs light comes on and then do the fault test on the diagnostic under the bonnet, save time looking at the wrong sensor. Usually the fronts, but can be the backs occasionally.

Chris

Chris, I don't have time to go through that at the second - actually working on a report. Someone else might copy and past something in quickly, all you need is a short piece of wire though. Do you not have a manual?

ABS fault light test procedure anyone? Including codes for a 97?

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just for future reference, here is a video of the test along with the corresponding codes:

Basically, you use a paperclip to jumper the "E1" and "Tc" pins in the little black "Diagnosis" box under the hood. You then turn on the ignition and count the corresponding flashes which reveals which sensor is malfunctioning.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but it's always frustrating to me when I'm searching through threads to diagnose problem and I get to the bottom of the thread only to find that the answer was never posted. :)

Last edited:
Nice one Matt. I might make your reply a sticky if I get a minute

Back