Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Absolutely Gutted In Morocco

With very heavy hearts we dropped Byron at Laayoune Airport this morning. He's got flight to the Canaries and then onto London today so should be home late tonight.

Byron will post more details of this weeks events when he's ready too. I'll continue to update the trip thread but no detail of the incident there.

George, Mike and I are continuing south to Dahkla but even only 3 hours in Bryon and MrT are a sad absence to the group and the rest of the trip will not be the same without them.

Awful news Byron, as everyone else has said no lives were lost which is the most important thing and you will soon be back home.

HI

Sorry to of your loss but very glad to hear you have got out in one piece and already on your way home.

It's a huge reminder for me and I'm sure others, not to be complacent in our safety, when it comes to fire. When watching these recent videos on YouTube videos
, I was very much of the mind set, FIRE, these days, really!!! How stupid was I. Even though I have always carried 3 fire extinguishers, one by each front door and 1 at the back.

Byron hope you have a safe journey home.

G.

I know the feeling Byron. I had my Range rover catch fire on the drive after I'd taken the plugs out to dry the cylinders out on a cold day after over choking it. Just one turn of the key and whoosh. Amazing how quickly the fire spread so I just slammed the bonnet and called fire brigade who were only 200 yards away (and knew the way to my house!) but no hope.

I was really shocked when I first read about it.
You immediately start to imagine yourself in the same situation.
Suppose you are alone... (And loose all your drinking water in the desert...)
Short after I received news from a friend who takes part as navigator in the rally, Byron and Mark and co went to watch they broke the suspension in the first stage but worse the driver had to be taken to the hospital because of heart problems... What happened with that cruiser is a true nightmare but luckily nobody got hurt. Although you could have the impression that you could have saved the car when the bonnet would have opened, but then again opening the bonnet would have fueled the fire with even more oxygen and it could have ended badly with severe injuries...
Can you imagine this happened on the ferry...

Couldn't we organise some kind of fund raising for Byron?

It will not get his car back but I feel it is the least we can do.
Suppose it happened to you.

I was really shocked when I first read about it.
You immediately start to imagine yourself in the same situation.
Suppose you are alone... (And loose all your drinking water in the desert...)
Short after I received news from a friend who takes part as navigator in the rally, Byron and Mark and co went to watch they broke the suspension in the first stage but worse the driver had to be taken to the hospital because of heart problems... What happened with that cruiser is a true nightmare but luckily nobody got hurt. Although you could have the impression that you could have saved the car when the bonnet would have opened, but then again opening the bonnet would have fueled the fire with even more oxygen and it could have ended badly with severe injuries...
Can you imagine this happened on the ferry...

Couldn't we organise some kind of fund raising for Byron?

It will not get his car back but I feel it is the least we can do.
Suppose it happened to you.
Really feel for you Byron.No matter what these motors end up being very personal to us I know mine do. Only plus is as said many times you are unhurt. You also have the full support of all on here I'm sure be it parts another truck or help with either.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
good grief! So glad there are no injuries, but sad about the truck :(

Holy moly.. sorry to see that happen to any truck.. can't imagine how you are feeling. Glad nobody was hurt, and you are back home safe.

I have just read this thread and wish thank you all for your your kind messages of support.

It is understandable that you are keen to know what the hell happened. My iPad was recording our track the whole time so I have accurate timings.

First the base facts. I was travelling in my 'overland' cruiser which is a 1991 80 series that I have spent several years preparing for a trip to Cape Town.

For some reason the car was a real character and got christened 'Mr T' after the big guy in the 'A Team' (ancient TV series).

We had been driving for hours across hot desert, both on piste and totally off road, so at around 17:45 we decided to take a short break at a 'signpost' (actually a great concrete block) around 60km south of the nearest town (Es aram).

It was a very hot dry day (around 40C) with a strong and bone dry breeze. I left my engine running and popped the bonnet to check all was well. As 'car' people do we all clustered around looking at the engine bay. I was mainly interested in ensuring the batteries were still properly secured as I had experienced problems during the 2015 Morocco trip and had made changes to the battery restraints. The engine was running at a normal temperature, Batteries were secure and there was no sign of any problems at all.

I closed the bonnet and we set off at 18:01. I was driving with the windows open and at 18:07 I smelt burning rubber and noticed a wisp of smoke from the bonnet on the drivers side. Immediately I called for help on the CB, stopped the car, shut off the engine, pulled the bonnet release catch, grabbed my fire extinguisher and ran outside.

There was a small amount of smoke issuing from around the rear of the DS side light with a few very small flames. I blasted the area with the extinguisher (CO2 with powder). The flames and smoke disappeared so I went to fully open the bonnet to finish the job - no joy. Rushed back and pulled the bonnet release again but there was no resistance at all. By this time Mark, George and Mike had come running with extinguishers.

I grabbed my tools from the car and we tried to smash open the bonnet. I tore off the front grill in a desperate attempt to get at the bonnet release (probably where I lost my thumbnail). The fire had started up again as the strong breeze was blowing directly on the front of the car and the fire was growing fast. It began to dawn on me that I was going to lose the car.

Mike yelled at me to grab my documents so I began emptying the car while the lads continued to try and get the bonnet open. Almost everything is stored in boxes so the car was empty in less than a minute (at least that is what I thought) and so I crawled underneath with the idea to crush the fuel feed line - I quickly realised that was an insane idea and abandoned the attempt.

Soon we had exhausted all four fire extinguishers and a lot of water trying to keep the fire subdued and the bonnet cool while we attempted to force it open and we were forced to admit defeat as the fire grew to frightening proportions. I jumped in the back to remove the gas cylinder and we retreated about 50 metres off carrying the boxes with us.

It was then that I realised some of the stuff I had chucked out of the car was being destroyed by the radiant heat of the fire even though it was 5 metres upwind! This was small (expensive) stuff that we had not noticed on the ground in our haste to get away from the fire. It was impossible to save this kit as the radiant heat was now so intense we could not approach. My wooden chopping board 5 metres upwind was reduced to charcoal even though it was not touched by the fire at all.

The whole period from the first whiff of smoke to raging inferno was 9 minutes. Absolutely terrifying.

I will post re our thoughts on the events and what action we took next tomorrow.

For now it is suffice to say that as we had saved all of my water, food, wine, gin and most of the beer we cracked open bottles and cans to hold a wake for Mr T - a brilliant car.

Last edited:
Very scary how fast that can happen.. Fair play for even being able to talk about it, very traumatic I would imagine.

Wow, stunned as to how quickly that happened.

Absolutely frightening, thank god you weren't on your own.

Byron - absolutely gutted for you and obviously a horrible incident. But thanks for sharing this - as said previously, we all need to be aware how quickly things can go south. Hope you can move on and build another truck when the time is right. And at least you are still here to tell the tale. Take care, eh.

Absolutely frightening, thank god you weren't on your own.

Yes. The support of guys was a real boost and they stuck with me until all the 'formalities' were done. 2 days of seriously frustrating madness I can assure you. And we got to stay in the worst hotel I have ever seen in my life.

My god it was bad, we all wished we had taken up the offer to sleep in the jail instead! First time I have paid for a hotel room with a few coins though...

I think @MarkW will write about the formalities later as he put in a lot of effort to research what needed to be done. Because as @Andy pointed out it was impossible for me to leave to country without jumping through the hoops and paying 'import tax' on the remains of my car I had to leave behind.

To be fair, many of the officials were trying to help and I reckon they squashed the 'import tax' down to the minimum they could - around €200.

Last edited:
Glad your back safe Byron but you're being missed :(
Some of the beer you left with us has been donated to a fellow Welshman we met here in Dakhla :)

Just picking this up this morning and feeling your pain, not a good Sunday morning read. Glad to hear no one hurt (finger nail asides), we often forget the devastating effects a fire can have, and the speed the events can unfold.

Hope you can put this behind you and start over, thoughts with you today.

regards

Dave

Back