Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AC Compressor

silvercruiser

Hello

I took the LC out tonight and left it running while i picked something up. i noticed my AC compressor is pretty noisy.

It blows out nice and cold and its switching in and out fine. but when its engaged its noisy.

I can pick up a new compressor for just over £300 and then need the gas taken out and recharged.

Does anyone know if you can replace the bearing in situ? will it loose the gas if the bearings pulled or is it sealed after the bearing?

Its usually the thrust bearing at the back that breaks up . Cant be reached without splitting the compressor.

Snap, mine started doing this about 2 weeks ago, not got round to it yet.

I will let the weather cool a bit before stripping.

Tony if you do yours first please, do lots of photos and a nice write up:eusa-whistle:

Search for Frankenstein compressor on here. There's lots of info on stripping and rebuilding. I also managed to get a genuine Denso compressor to replace my seized one and made some adaptor blocks to mount it with a longer belt.

I'm guessing you've checked the idler pulley isn't causing the noise? Also in this heat, the compressor is doing most work. They also lose oil through leakage over time such that mine lost it all and seized.

Check any replacement isn't a Chinese copy but is a genuine Denso or Sanden Denso. My fridge engineer pal doesn't trust rebuilds either.

Compressor rebuilders don't rebuild them. Denso only sell parts to the car makers they supply their compressors to. Toyota supplied me with just the main seal. The rebuilders buy a new cheap compressor and supply it to you as your rebuilt one after adding their profit margin. By the time the compressor is noisy internally the bearings have gone and the bores and pistons are damaged. These are unrepairable.

It took me a long time to uncover how this trade works but I did manage to talk to Denso UK sales who explained parts were only supplied to car makers and rebuilders either used pattern parts or supplied new cheap compressors. I phoned several rebuilders who gave me a fixed price of £200 to "rebuild" mine whatever the condition. i.e. a replacement.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Search for Frankenstein compressor on here. There's lots of info on stripping and rebuilding. I also managed to get a genuine Denso compressor to replace my seized one and made some adaptor blocks to mount it with a longer belt.

I'm guessing you've checked the idler pulley isn't causing the noise? Also in this heat, the compressor is doing most work. They also lose oil through leakage over time such that mine lost it all and seized.

Check any replacement isn't a Chinese copy but is a genuine Denso or Sanden Denso. My fridge engineer pal doesn't trust rebuilds either.

Yeah the noise only starts when the aircon engages aprt from that its as quite as a D4D Mouse

I dont mind having a go at changing the bearing as long as its not going to be a waste of time. the compressor looks like its the original, so 13 years old.

Just make sure you keep everything as clean as a clean thing on clean day and make sure there is the correct amount of oil and refrigerant in the system and all should be well.

Ebay appear to do compressor bearings cheaper than Toyota and probo the same make.

The circlip holding the bearing on to nose has a tapered cross section the theory being that the tension in the spring wedges to bearing firmly. However when you fit the circlip force the two eyes together. This firmly wedges the circlip in. Mine came loose and ruined the compressor nose.

Wow i have just watched a few youtube clips on denso compressors. if i need to get to the internal shaft bearings it looks like i need a new seal kit too. it gets quite involved. or is it easier than it looks?

This brings up the importance of using a good drier/filter. A cheap one will get clogged with metal debris and burst sending all that in to the evaporator valve which is almost impossible to clean. A good one will have more surface area and take more psi as well.

Wow i have just watched a few youtube clips on denso compressors. if i need to get to the internal shaft bearings it looks like i need a new seal kit too. it gets quite involved. or is it easier than it looks?
I told you that further up!

I told you that further up!
Hi Dave
Yes thank you, you did. I have only had a chance today to actually see what's inside an a.c. compressors, I'm not sure what I was expecting but quite a few pieces to get back in the right order. I'm sort of swaying to the buy a new one and fit it road.

Took a little clip of the aircon, i was switching it in and out from the button to speed the noise up for the clip.

I have also asked Opie oils if there is any club discount on the Compressors.

Have a look at the pulley when it is spinning but with a/c pump not engaged it should spin true. Watch it as the pump engages and it should again spin true but if the bearing is loose on a worn nose it will wobble.

Cheers Frank
Just did this and yes i can see it wobbling when engaged. im sort of happy that James villas had a deal on villas and car hire this year, otherwise i would of been setting off to the south of France in the landcruiser in just a few weeks. i wonder how long this would wobble for.

Mine was so bad it wore the clutch plate out! Trouble is the nose wears so badly I needed a new one. Between 3 compressors I managed to find enough good bits to build a good one. Still working. Thinking about it a very badly worn bearing might produce the wobble so the nose might be OK.

I don't know what would happen in the end. I suspect the noise would get so bad one would not turn the a/c on.

Any chance of a wobbling video to compare with mine which i can't upload.

Hi Frank

i just did a quick clip. you can see a wobble once i click it on. its more of an up/down wobble rather than a shakey buckled wheel wobble.(the best description i could think of)

Ignore the clip heading it should read worn and the phone has changed it to work.

Back