Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AC Compressor

the average system holds about 8 0z of pag oil. 2 0z in each major component. the condenser, the pump, the dryer and the evaporator. exact figures are in the fsm, 2 0z is a good rule of thumb.

the best way to be sure would be to measure the amount of oil that came out of your old pump. if your new pump has 7 or 8 0z in, enough for the entire system, there would be to much oil in. even allowing for the replacement dryer.
just my opinion.

Managed to get the bottom plug out today. It gave me a bit of a fight. I had to adapt a box spanner and make it fit the plastic plug. I only did this due to me only having a 14mm Allen socket and i had a new plastic plug going back in.

For future reference, you will need 9/16th Allen key/socket to get it out and back in. 14mm is just too slack.

20170813_160811.jpg 20170813_160807.jpg 20170813_160842.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one, job I still need to do. I think I will follow the path you have and replace with new

Its a fairly easy swap. i ended up paying £280 from opie oils with the discount applied.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi SC, looking to get the bits together to do this job too. Could you please let me have the part numbers you used:
Compressor - Opi Oils
Drier - Was that from eBay?
New plug - ??

Cheers, Tony

Hi Tony.

The Compressor i ordered from Opie oils:
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-133893...ioning-part-genuine-denso-oe-part-single.aspx
Check its the same one on your LC. And dont forget to put the code: LANDCRUISER in at the checkout for the 10% discount.

The drier comes as a kit with the Plug. the one that turned up had a nice aluminum plug so a bit more robust than the plastic one that came out.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322504572369?clk_rvr_id=1300450651403&rmvSB=true

you will need some O rings for the connections on the compressor, i have an O ring kit that i carry on the van so didnt need to order these.

I also ordered a new serpentine belt to save putting the old one back on.

Once the air filter housing is out of the way you can get at all of bolts and it slips out fairly easy.

Last edited:
@silvercruiser did you have to add oil to your system when you changed the compressor and drier? Also any idea on the size of 0-rings needed as I will need to purchase these?

Just ordered the compressor, so will be doing this job in the next few weeks.

Finally managed to tackle this job today. Only item I could not change was the drier. The plug is so tight, that I managed to bend the radiator. Thought I best drop before I broke something....

How did you get yours out Joe? I even had the correct size hex socket 14

Need to get it regassed now and the see if it works

Finally managed to tackle this job today. Only item I could not change was the drier. The plug is so tight, that I managed to bend the radiator. Thought I best drop before I broke something....

If the system wasn't open to the air for too long you should be ok with a good spell on vacuum.
I may know somebody in the market for the drier kit if you wanted a home for it. Yours maybe sealed as the info I first received was that the whole condenser needs to be changed to change the drier.

Hi Tony
I have only just seen this. if you look at my picture above you can see i ended up using a box spanner that i had spare. i tapered it on the grinding wheel,so that the tip just fit into the plug. I then warmed it up with my blow torch and pushed it into the plastic plug and held it until cool. i then had a perfect/tight fit into the plug and also the heat helped to loosen the stuck plug.

Hi Tony
I have only just seen this. if you look at my picture above you can see i ended up using a box spanner that i had spare. i tapered it on the grinding wheel,so that the tip just fit into the plug. I then warmed it up with my blow torch and pushed it into the plastic plug and held it until cool. i then had a perfect/tight fit into the plug and also the heat helped to loosen the stuck plug.

The 14 hex socket actually is a tight fit, so that is good. Thinking about it tonight and now that you mention it, I may try some heat on it to see if it comes loose, however that will be a one way journey so it will have to come out then....

Yes they do put up a fight. but i think the heat helped get that first movement.
Gave up in the end, as I did not want to cause damage, apparently I am known for being heavy handed.... :kissing:

What a chore to fine somewhere to recharge the gas, apparently this is not the right time of the year... Anyway, 4th place did it for me.

Well it blows cold, but that could just be that its cold outside, but I can see the air con clutch engaging so at least it works. No more racket.

A Hydraulic Motor ? ? ? ?

Where did you find that on a Landcruiser ??

:icon-wink:

Bob.

Back