Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Accelerator pedal issue

trektheandes

Country Flag
peru
Hi all,

Accelerator pedal stopper (marked red in photo)- is this just an optional limiter or does it serve some other purpose? I did not know I had one on the car till the other day, took it off and left it in the last town, so hoping it was just optional. Car way more powerful without it.

The only problem is now the accelerator pedal now gets stuck on 1100rpm when you release it. So if sitting in traffic, need to pull it back with foot or hand to drop the revs to idling speed.

Lifted carpet and found the pedal is only bolted to the bulkhead rubber liner thing ( rubber with sponge underneath that starts at the floor and goes up under the pedals). So there is a lot of movement, which is why it is getting stuck I think.

Should it not be bolted to the metal underneath?

Video may help- I manually pull it back up at the end of the video to drop the revs then am wiggling it by hand to show the movement. When driving and coming to a stop in traffic, I have to hook my foot underneath to drop it from 1100 to 750 or so rpm.
Video here:
https://flic.kr/p/2i2pD31

Thanks in advance.
Mark

IMG_4798.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Looking at the video the bulkhead mounting appears to be loose as the bolt heads appear to move or is that through the rubber and sponge.

With the throttle stopping on release at 1100 it may be worth replacing the throttle return spring as they stretch over time.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi,

Looking at the video the bulkhead mounting appears to be loose as the bolt heads appear to move or is that through the rubber and sponge.

With the throttle stopping on release at 1100 it may be worth replacing the throttle return spring as they stretch over time.

Regards,

Rodger
Thanks Rodger,
The bolts you see are threaded through a kind of sandwich. Bolt head and metal on one side, rubber/sponge liner in the middle, and what feels like a metal plate and nuts on the other.

It is not actually fixed to the bulkhead for some reason. Not rusty either. Good idea on the spring.
Thanks

Back