Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Acceptable Rust?

IvanD

Country Flag
bulgaria
Hi,
New to the forum and 4x4s in general, but I am looking into getting a J100 and finally getting into overlanding, after many years of backpacking, hitchhiking and relying on public transportations around the world.

I found an offer for a 2004 Toyota with supposedly good mileage and very competitive price.
I have a VIN number, but what is a reliable place to check for service history, etc?

I also received a surprising number of underside pictures and there is my concern - seems to be quite some rust. Car is from Latvia, so I assume salt.
Relevant pics: https://imgur.com/a/d7DmlbO

Is it too bad? The rear differential seems to be leaking? Is this salvageable?

Hi Ivan. Im sure most folk on here including my self will say they have seen worse. It looks Oh to familiar and Typical of most Land cruisers of that age.. But don't let it put you off, The best thing always is to take a look yourself, Don't rely on him sending pics, He will always send you the best ones.. Best to find out where the rear axle is leaking oil. Iv seen them so rusty that the oil actually seeps through the Steel. its that thin And its a bugger to try and weld..Go and have a look and see for your self is best... But I have seen far worse.. Good luck

Are you buying this unseen and having it shipped to Bulgaria?

It's in Germany and I am considering going there and seeing it in person, as it's doubtful I will get any more pictures/info than what I currently have, but first I am gathering opinions if it looks viable in the first place, to avoid wasting my time.

Looks ok to.me as stated before the 100 metal is a bit well how do.you say inferior.

Nothing that looks as if it requires welding. Just wire brush and paint

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Latvian title, so no TÜV? I have the VIN, but not sure where to check it.

Ummm, feeling wonderfully reassured about mine now... classic!!! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
:)
You should be ok. It doesnt rain in zimbabwe does it?
I imagine you also have far better use for salt than chucking it all over the road...

:)
You should be ok. It doesnt rain in zimbabwe does it?
I imagine you also have far better use for salt than chucking it all over the road...

Really??? You mean people do that???. ...and here I thought it was a unique preparation specially for enhancing a good steak... :sweatsmile::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Happy Xmas all!!

Back