Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Access to Sea Container for shipping practice run

SteveS

I will be shipping my truck overseas and would like to have a practice run at getting it into a standard 20ft sea container (non hi-cube).

Does anybody have access to one so i can have a practice? Based in Berkshire or Devon and happy to travel in south.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Sorry, no container to practice in, but why do you need to practice?
all the dimensions of containers can be found on line.
just make sure your truck is within these figures ,especially height, & drive it in. Simple!
it will be lashed down by the container people, who did a very good job on the 1 occasion I 'containered'
I have put 2 fully loaded for expedition 80's, with winch bumpers & twin rear wheel carriers, and roofs loaded into A 40 ft container no problem, and a similarly loaded 80 into a 20 footer
Just drove em in

Andy

ps you may need to take off the RTT & load it in front / behind/ alongside the truck

Last edited:
Sorry, no container to practice in, but why do you need to practice?
all the dimensions of containers can be found on line.
just make sure your truck is within these figures ,especially height, & drive it in. Simple!
it will be lashed down by the container people, who did a very good job on the 1 occasion I 'containered'
I have put 2 fully loaded for expedition 80's, with winch bumpers & twin rear wheel carriers, and roofs loaded into A 40 ft container no problem, and a similarly loaded 80 into a 20 footer
Just drove em in

Andy

ps you may need to take off the RTT & load it in front / behind/ alongside the truck

Thanks Andy - yes i have the dimensions including the slight narrowing/restricted height of the doorway. By my reckoning, with the RTT and 2nd spare on the roof rack I have 4cm spare on height......so not much hence why i want to check. I also want to have a proper look at loading it in/out myself - yes there's a good chance that that will be done on the dockside by somebody else - but i'd like to see the level of difficulty. Also in terms of tethering the truck not all shippers supply straps so i want to look at that and get a good idea of what to do, do i need chocks etc. I will be going into a 20ft non hi-cube so it will be tight.

As a fall back i will build a limbo bar and drive underneath. I don't want to faff around taking the RTT off if i can help it although i have made up some plates to make this easier as present

Technically it all fits but i'd rather know how of any limitations rather than last minute at the port.

The 100 is bigger than an 80 as you know

With the chance you may have to trust someone else drive it in and with only 4cm to spare i would let the tyres down .

With the chance you may have to trust someone else drive it in and with only 4cm to spare i would let the tyres down .

Yes it is the narrowed opening height that 4cm is measured to.....slightly higher inside. As the truck goes over the threshold i imagine the tyres deforming a bit. I could let some air out of the tyres as i have an onboard compressor. But i can imagine a bit of bounce as the thing goes in

Anyway - these are all good reasons why i want to try it out myself if i can

4cm isn't a lot to play around with if dimensions turn out to be wrong, however if you've measured right and the container is what it is, I'm sure you won't have a problem. Shayne's idea of letting air out is a good last minute idea if you need a couple extra cm. You'll be surprised how much lower it'll be. The containers, I believe to have tie down points/Anchors. Whether the container comes with the actual straps depends on the container company. Good ratchet straps work well. One on each wheel is more than enough to secure the beast in place. Back and forwards movement in the container isn't much of a worry. It's the sideways movement you want to look out for. This is why the straps on the wheels/chassis works well. Wheel chocks like you mentioned would be great too. I'd be prepared with these things when it comes to loading so you know you have everything.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Steve, ask Scott for some pix from his recent delivery of his 105 series in a standard container.
From memory they just nailed down some timber chocks front and rear and to the side of the tyres, and then strapped it down.
But they used a lifting device on a forklift type vehicle to raise the front end and wheel it in on the back wheels. Obviously they can adjust how high they lift it, but with such a low amount of clearance you may need to factor this in.
It may be worth enquiring with a shipping company at the docks and ask to see how it will fit in and work for you. Most of them should be obliging. Good luck.

Last edited:
Always get the vehicle tied down on the wheels or the axle never do the body as with the bumps you need the suspension to have give in it or the straps become shock loaded and break.
good luck stu

Thanks for the inputs - I plan to take my own strap set - 4 ratchets and a sort of bridle that goes around the wheel/tyre - like they use to transport cars on fIatbeds - get a set for £35. As stated above not all shippers provide the straps so best if I have my own as backup. I've been asking around my local self storage companies but have only been offered 1st floor container - [emoji35] - will keep looking if forum members don't come up trumps

Thanks for advice - much appreciated

Back