Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ACF-50 rust treatment

Gr8Yota

Country Flag
scotland
I’m looking for something to spray into the frame rails. The exterior is OK, sprayed from new and I paint with waxoyl/Tetroseal each year. Anyone used this ACF-50?

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-114484...bottle-with-refillable-pump-action-spray.aspx

The Yanks seem to like Fluid Film but I find it ‘s just a liquid grease and stays liquid, making a mess and looking like you've got Land Rover class leaks!

Any other options?

Thanks, so does it stay liquid? or will it sit in the frame rails without a mess?

Thanks, so does it stay liquid? or will it sit in the frame rails without a mess?
It's a bit like WD40, it stays liquid, but then with the rain etc by the end of winter it's pretty much come off.

Its claimed the Krown doesn't dry , it creeps to cover new chips though i've seen no evidence of this myself yet i think Starcruiser has .

The finish on my truck is like a dirty black road grime , which it probably is because it hasn't been washed underneath since but nothing that resembles a leak .

I described it as being like an industrial WD-40 but (TonyP) wd is water based so dries out , you won't wash Krown off i had some over spill from the rear lights which several drive through car washes didn't touch , i rubbed it off with paper towels and turps eventually .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Towpack thanks, sounds better for salt, how far does a Quart go?

If you use a compressor and spray gun type applicator its quite economical to use. The small trigger spray bottles dont atomise the fluid very well so youtend to waste more. A 1 litre bottle should easily do the whole vehicle.

You can get Krown in a spray can. It goes a little like spray grease but not so thick and you can see it creep after warm weather. It will drip on the drive for the first few weeks but after that just sits there and gathers up the dust. To see it spray applied to a sopping wet chassis and displace the water like a waterfall is something to behold.

I use ACF50 on my motorbike over winter and is does help keep the corrosion at bay, especially on the ally bits.

Same bike, same ACF 50, no corrosion on bike anywhere.

I use Corrosion Block which is made by the same Co. that makes ACF50.
http://www.acf-50.co.uk/marine.htm Its very slightly thicker but stillremains fluid giving a wet appearance. Im not that bothered how it looks, at least it wont peel or flake off like wax products do when they age harden.

Having had members trucks on the ramp with both Corrosion Block and and Krown treatments my money would be on the Corrosion Block, ( given the condition of the underside of the CB treated one)
However Gr8Yota I doubt the chassis would ever corrode through in your lifetime especially if you've treated one side. Assuming its a box section I'd treat the inside with CB using a multi directional probe to make some kind of barrier. Just one thing, these box section chassis are known for holding quite a lot of dirt after a while so I'd make sure it was clean.

For now I'll stick to the WD 40 motorbike chain lube treatment on my trucks.

We fly micro lights and WD40 is bad ,we can only use ACF50

I've tried ACF 50 and it does seem very good. I wouldn't use WD40 for anything other than light lubrication. ACF seems to form into a sort of gel once applied. I tried it on battery terminals and it stopped that fuzzy stuff from forming.

That's interesting Towpack, I've been looking for a decent rust converter/stabilizer. At £20 its worth experimenting with I think. Good shout.

Worth a try. That milky stuff you paint on which turns black is largely rubbish. You're better off with a brush on an angry grinder.

Back