Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Acquired an LJ70

McCloud

Ho do all...New member here (just intro'd myself)

I drive a LC120 and have just got my hands on an'89 LJ70

DSCN3748.JPG

DSCN3749.JPG

DSCN3750.JPG

DSCN3751.JPG

DSCN3752.JPG

DSCN3753.JPG

DSCN3754.JPG

DSCN3755.JPG

As you can see it needs a touch of TLC!!

In the next pic can anyone shed any light on the coil-in the-coil set up on the rear springs?

Coil%20Spring.JPG

As this is a commercial vehicle, the extra springs are probably some form of a booster spring for heavy loads.

Roger

A spring assistor setup....you may find that if you use it off road without a load onboard, it has a tendency to cock a corner up in the air a bit too easily, if you remove the central coil you will get a better articulation.

Looks ok though, rust in all the usual places.

To see what you can do with one, take a look at Bens thread, although the easiest option is to throw on a decent set of 31x10.50r15 AT's and away you go, it will be a decent offroader from the word go.

It has the 2.4 LT engine?

Aye its the 2.4 plant alright.

Is it my imagination, if you look at the pics, is it sitting a bit higher than stock?

The back is definitely higher than normal due to the extra spring.

Roger

PS I have a set of 31/10.50-15 muds on steel rims if you are interested.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
looks tidy enough. im sure once the rust is sorted will make a great truck. :thumbup:

its interesting to see a commercial LJ70, i dont think they were ever sold in the UK. :think:

what are your plans for it? :)

ben said:
looks tidy enough. im sure once the rust is sorted will make a great truck. :thumbup:

its interesting to see a commercial LJ70, i dont think they were ever sold in the UK. :think:

Well Ben the plans are minor at the moment. Lift kit and some rubber then a general tidy up. Will sort out the rust this weekend and ply and soundproof the back. Some din with the metal floor, my ears are humming!

I'll post the odd pic as I bow to your incredible thread!

Commercial 70's well any jeep are common in Ireland as its cheap tax and you get the vat back. I have the feelers out for rear glass.

Matt

McCloud said:
ben said:

Well Ben the plans are minor at the moment. Lift kit and some rubber then a general tidy up. Will sort out the rust this weekend and ply and soundproof the back. Some din with the metal floor, my ears are humming!

Commercial 70's well any jeep are common in Ireland as its cheap tax and you get the vat back. I have the feelers out for rear glass.

Matt

thanks mate. :thumbup:

should be a decent truck when your done. i think its a lot better base vehicle than most of the uk models. for starters you havnt got the crappy fibreglass arches that seem to cause rust, and then get broken when used off road. i like how its got the rear lights already in the rear wings. :)

you say 4x4's are common in Ireland. do you see many 70series cruisers like yours?

I dont think a lift will improve your truck - you already have an uprated suspension - unless you want to fit 33" tyres (which the 2.4 imo becomes underpowered when they are fitted) I dont see the point.

A decent set of 31" at's is a far better bet.

Its a great looking truck - interesting that the back end is really hard worked, but the front of the cab looks really tidy!

Big vat and tax implications for fitting the windows....much more stringent thatn the UK.

Cheers

Pete

ben said:
McCloud said:
ben said:

Matt

thanks mate. :thumbup:

should be a decent truck when your done. i think its a lot better base vehicle than most of the uk models. for starters you havnt got the crappy fibreglass arches that seem to cause rust, and then get broken when used off road. i like how its got the rear lights already in the rear wings. :)

you say 4x4's are common in Ireland. do you see many 70series cruisers like yours?

You see a few 70's around alright... Have a look at www.donedeal.ie there are two on there for sale at the moment. One is a 96 3.0!!!

very interesting. :think:

i think if i was in the market for a decent 3litre KZJ70, then importing from Ireland seems like a good option. :thumbup:

this one looks decent, especially for the price. ive seen uk models in far worse state than that go for more money.

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/2792891

ben said:
very interesting. :think:

i think if i was in the market for a decent 3litre KZJ70, then importing from Ireland seems like a good option. :thumbup:

this one looks decent, especially for the price. ive seen uk models in far worse state than that go for more money.

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/2792891

Of course it's sods law! I was on the lookout for a 3.0 but no joy! Soon as I bought the 2.4..... Well whadda ya know!!

I've been gathering a few bits, so work will start in earnest this week!

Back