Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Add Diff lock

Sumerian

Country Flag
lebanon
is it feasible and reliable to add a differential lock to my petroleum V6 GXR 100 automatic 50th anniversary? Any idea on the cost? I am planning to add it

I would be surprised if you don't have one. I mean you will certainly have a centre diff lock but you may have a limited skip diff in the rear axle. Have a look underneath around the rear diff oil filler. Does it say LSD OIL or something like? If not, you can check the axle codes, the 80 ones are on here, I don't know about the 100s. Have a search.

I would be surprised if you don't have one. I mean you will certainly have a centre diff lock but you may have a limited skip diff in the rear axle. Have a look underneath around the rear diff oil filler. Does it say LSD OIL or something like? If not, you can check the axle codes, the 80 ones are on here, I don't know about the 100s. Have a search.
Shouldn't be a button on the dashboard that activate the diff lock? I hAve none

On my 80 it used to automatically lock the center diff when low range was engaged, however that was bypassed, as I have a button on the dash for the center diff lock, so it can be locked in high range originally, now I can chose when I want the center diff locked, and a rotary dial to engage the axle diff locks.

You should have a amber diff lock warning lamp in the instrument cluster to warn you when the center diff lock is engaged and a pair of red ones for the axle I believe, if diff locks are fitted.
Should illuminate on ignition on as a kind of lamp test, mine does anyway.

Did Toyota do away with diff locks like Land Rover did when they started to use the traction control instead of mechanical diff locks?

Try checking for information tags on the diff housing as StarCruiser said, also you can try jacking her up off the ground and selecting low range and seeing what happens when you spin a wheel by hand, if the enter diff is locked then a wheel on the opposite axle should turn at the same time.

you have a few options but availability in your market and your mechanic may make the choice for you. There are ARB and TJM air lockers and Harrop E lockers available for both the front and back axles and on the rear axle you can also retro fit a Toyota E locker. The ARB/TJM air lockers are the most common choice. The Harrops are usually the most expensive followed by the Toyota E locker retro fit and then the ARB/TJM are usually the 'cheapest' option but 'cheap' is still a lot of money.

Back