Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

advice needed for100 vx, 285/75/16 or 305/70/16

Rob Voerman

Hi guys, still trying to get new tyres :( but have found some local at same price as UK so looking up again :)

I Brought the cruiser to Portsmouth last week for MOT and new tyres but the chap got dropped by his supplier and only received 3 tyres(285/75/16, we hunted for a 4th but in vaine as I had the return ferry friday night.

Searching the web I see that the 305/70has the same outside diameter as the 285/75 and thought for a few bob more it might be an option, i am looking at the General AT2 as its the wifes car and we use it to go sking in winter and the occasional Spanish trip, mostly its to school and back but I want to be sure we can use it to to some tracks, the LJ78 will be more for offroading.

reviews seems good and price is fine.

what is the disadvantage of fitting the 305/70/16 and to confirm the alloys on the vx is 8j?

Hi Rob,

The 305 doesn't offer much advantage in most conditions, in my opinion - and adds to your fuel bill as they create more rolling resistance. If you're looking for more flotation, then I guess the 305 has a larger footprint but you're paying for it on every school run, trip to the shops etc.
It seems to me that most people running 305s do so for cosmetic reasons (the vet tekkie look :roll: ) I don't see any real world advantages for 99% of applications. If you're going to use your 100 in snow, then narrower tyres are generally better than wide, especially on ice.

The 285 is generally cheaper, more readily available and more tyres seem to be offered in that size. I have not run 305s on my 80 so I cannot offer a real world comparison (to qualify my statements :mrgreen: )

I'm pretty sure that the 100 series 16" rims are 8jj but perhaps one of the 100 owners here can confirm.

Cheers,

Back