Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice on buying 70's series

elephantpilot

Country Flag
united_states
Hello All,
i'm in the market for a 70's series diesel and was wondering if anyone could chime in with a few pointers on I am looking at, and/or just give some general input on things to look out for. I am new to LCs and this forum so forgive my NOOBnes.

I came across this one on ebay. it is from a seller/importer in Florida and I've had a few exchanges over email with him.

Price is 13k with shipping to Los Angeles California( which is where I am), US from Florida US. Price includes a Florida registration. It is the tan one pictured with the removable hard top and shovel .

Ebay listing:
ebay.com/itm/201019800589?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

from Seller:
1985 lifted landcruiser with frp top AND rare softop,3.4 non turbo diesel 5 speed manual with 250000km AND left hand drive

New rotors and pads in front
Car was always serviced and maintained.
Also oil of gearbox and axles was renewed
August 2011
-Revision transfer case,
-Replaced front part exhaust,
-New cylinder coupling.
From top of my head,275000km,and on his way,to be expected here end of february.
Details I believe you got from me today?1985 frp top,5 speed manual,3.4 liter 4 cilinder non turbo.
I sell it with a clean and clear florida title,I never had a problem with registrations in other states
But its up to the buyer to take care of that and responsebility is for the buyer.Vehicle is still in europe.
,its still possible to ship it straight to Ca instead of fla first,but I don’t know who has an office there to
Do the paperwork,my guesstimate ship from fla to ca around 1250.
May 2012,
-New set of parabolic Springs front and rear including shock absorbers,
-Revision front axle,
-Revision for brakes (new drives and blocks)
-front crankshaft seal replaced.
-New tires 5 x Toyo MT 235 85 16 * On original steel rims.
-Rear part exhaust replaced.
-revision brake drums behind.
-revision front cardan shaft.
-rear wheel seals replaced.
The car has always had his turns in between. Also oil of acceleration
Bake and shafts are replaced

I'm not familiar with diesel motors and I know that these trucks came in a few different variations, so was wondering if there were any thoughts on best motor for these trucks.
Thanks for everyone's time and apologies in advance for any spelling errors or NOOB remarks.

-Mike B

toyoronald2.jpg
toyoronald3.jpg
toyoronald1.jpg

toyoronald2.jpg
toyoronald4.jpg
toyoronald5.jpg
toyoronald6.jpg
toyoronald7.jpg
toyoronald8.jpg
toyoronald10.jpg

Thanks Ben
The truck is coming from Denmark.
As far as the metal plates- I was thinking the same thing about them being there as a quick-fix for rust . Wonder how much rust we aren't seeing.

It looks like they're coming from the Netherlands going by the yellow number plates in the pictures (where they're not obscured) Also the pic of the Troopy "van" is a very Dutch vehicle, as I think there were some tax breaks going in their favour.

Ideally you want one from a country that doesn't have cold snowy winters, then hopefully it wont have been driven on salted roads. :icon-biggrin:

Maybe a country in the Middle East where they have left hand drives. :think:

Ideally you want one from a country that doesn't have cold snowy winters, then hopefully it wont have been driven on salted roads. :icon-biggrin:

Maybe a country in the Middle East where they have left hand drives. :think:

That makes sense, and can mos def avoid some future headaches with serious rust issues.
Thanks Ben

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I confirm the checker plate rust coverup; I have the same situation in my 87 lj70 and it’s coming from northern Italy with hardly no salt used during the winter months

Expext some rust on the tub but killer rust will be underneath. Ask for photos of tub underside particularly around mount points.

The engine this version has is bombproof if looked after. Will literally run until the end of time. Not a fast truck. Slow off the mark and slow up hills, but stupidly reliable.

The level of mechanical and electrical sophistication is agricultural while being astonishingly well designed.

Which is why I love them. Ive had 3 of this model. Had to sell the first because of French paperwork nightmare, crashed the second one, and the third is my daily drive.

Gives 30mpg driven at 50mph with a four speed box (5th is broken)

Let us know how you get on.

Elephant Pilot,
Last November I did the same thing you're trying to do. I found one on Ebay that looked promising. It came from Venezuela. Although I didn't end up paying the asking price it was still expensive by some standards but as it turned out entirely worth it. I say that because it turned out to be almost entirely original and unmolested. I doubt it had ever been seriously off road. It runs and drives like perfectly. And everything works.
The gentlemen I purchased it from are truly that, gentlemen. And after I bought it they have kept in touch to be sure I'm enjoying the Machito as it's called in Venezuela. One example, a security pin locking the clutch and brake was missing when I got home. I contacted Carlos and he sourced on in Caracas and when his Dad visited at Christmas he gave it to him to mail to me when he got back to the US. If you'd like their contact information PM me. Carlos told me he's looking at purchasing and importing one or two more. I'm over in Tucson. If you're ever over this way and want to see it you're welcome.

Back