Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice on locking wheel nuts please

I can't really advise Chas, I only have one locking wheel nut on the truck and that's on the spare on the swing out.

It's similar in it's function, but less elaborate than those you show.

In any event, the only problem is carrying the unlocking device, knowing where it is on that dark rainy night when you'll get the puncture, or losing it altogether.

Not many ways around that.

Anyway, I think it preferable to the 'key' type that always seem to rust up and jam making them impossible to remove.

I don't think anyone can answer that Chas as they might come from anywhere nowadays so quality of finish and how long it lasts is anyone's guess . I reckon the ad says all the right things so there worth a shot and bearing in mind what Clive says about losing the key socket it may be worth asking if they can supply you with two and fixing one under the bonnet somewhere as back up .

I don't think anyone can answer that Chas as they might come from anywhere nowadays so quality of finish and how long it lasts is anyone's guess . I reckon the ad says all the right things so there worth a shot and bearing in mind what Clive says about losing the key socket it may be worth asking if they can supply you with two and fixing one under the bonnet somewhere as back up .
Thanks Clive and Shayne, that's a good idea about stashing a spare key socket somewhere.

I carry mine in the centre console wrapped in a rag. It's at the bottom (rarely used) buried in about a ton of junk :lol:

And that's where it stays until the day your in the worst possible place at the worst possible time needing to get the wheel off .... and you remember its on the shelf above the washing machine because you put it in your pocket last time you used it and you have been meaning to put it back in the truck ever since :icon-rolleyes: sod's law

but it works both ways , where were we Germany ? when you found the spare car key that you had lost a few years earlier Chas , then you locked your keys in the truck a few days later . Coincidental happy endings like that don't happen if you don't have a spare to begin with .

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
...... remember finding the car keys you had lost a few years earlier when you locked yourself out of the truck Chas :lol:

That was a classic, keys dangling from the ignition and all doors locked, Shayne and I scratching our heads how to get into Chas's Phoenix without smashing a window, Chas has a brainstorm and remembers where he stowed a spare key...

Priceless :lol:

The spare key is now on my second keyring (the one that doesn't have the main ignition key on)
Further to the locking nut question. What is the size and thread of the nuts on an 80?

M12 1.5 is a fair bet but i would check with a web search because i don't have an 80 .

IIRC there are two types of wheel nut on the 80 depending on what wheels were fitted stock? Most seem to have the taper style, there are some that enter the hole in the wheel and then pull up tight.

regards

Dave

The ones you linked are good ones. You just have to be careful not to damage the key by over tightening..Ask me how I know... They have a outer case that spins freely if anyone tries to remove them using a socket.

Also looking, but for a 100 … saw some similar on Roughtrax, but a tenner more.

Looks like it Dave, that means I owe you at least 9 years of old rag royalties! :lol:

:icon-biggrin:, must come to a cuppa T by now.

@the OP, those locks you show are one of the toughest to get off, I often have to get a bolt welded on them to free them.

This will damage the wheel so the thieves will not normally bother but, as mentioned the part that sits in the key can break off, damage to the wheel is the last thing you worry about when you have a puncture at the side of the motorway. I would go with the external type, this is the type I use, worse case scenario there is at least something you can do to remove it (PM me).

Also these wheel locks kits tend to have one key, pay for the extra and put one in the bag with the jack handle and one elsewhere in the car.

When tightening, it always helps if you have a torque wrench which is used in the garage but who keeps one in the boot so, during final tightening do the lock nut first then the rest, when removing the wheel release the lock nut first.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
I just nip the lock nut up on any vehicle i have, they won't come undone.

Back