Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice please

wrobinson

Country Flag
great_britain
Hello all,

I am seriously thinking of buying an old Land Cruiser, but I would prefer to get one I can actually work on - for simple stuff, that is - so I would like to get a pre-electronic model. The other reason for wanting an older model is they tend to be more solidly built (or that is my impression). I don't need to do loads of off road stuff, but farm tracks and the like, going shooting with the dog in the back etc. You get the picture.
So, if some kind people could give me some pointers, that would be hugely appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,

Will Robinson
(Somerset, UK)

Dan the drifter has got his 100 for sale have to look on previous post pages I have had mine for about five years with only minor mechanical and servicing work so I would say ok maybe not as bomb proof as an 80 or 70 series but it can deflect large calibre bullets a 40 series does look the dogs bollocks or the cats ring when done properly but the big question is how much do you want to pay how much are you willing to pay as some 80 landcruisers have been put up for close to 20000 quids and your kidneys oh welcome to the club Will am in Shepton Mallet where be ee

Thanks v much for this, both of you.
Replying now to SteveJB, I'm in Frome but having now officially joined the ranks of the unemployed due to the Covid propaganda, I'm certainly not looking at 20k! More like 3 or 4 – of I can get anything half decent for that, that is.

There are some about for that much money some maybe honest the rest are habitual liars just don't panic buy might be wrong time of year to buy as demand for 4x4 goes up towards winter if you see a truck you like the look of and stuck for transport or want another set of eyes am usually available give us a message on here good luck with your truck hunt

Welcome Will. Do not be under any illusion that an older Cruiser doesn't have a lot of electronics ( 1980 on) because they do. You only have to look behind the dash of a 60 series ( 1980's) to see a stack of relays, ecu's etc etc.
The good thing is that the electric bits are very robust and reliable.
With your budget you might find a decen't Colorado that will fill your requirements as something you can use and not have to restore.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There are some about for that much money some maybe honest the rest are habitual liars just don't panic buy might be wrong time of year to buy as demand for 4x4 goes up towards winter if you see a truck you like the look of and stuck for transport or want another set of eyes am usually available give us a message on here good luck with your truck hunt
Thank you very much for that sound advice, SteveJB. I agree about the unfavourable timing; it's just that my circumstances have changed rather, so I was trying to adapt to the new. Since I no longer have to commute to work I would like to sell my Zafira. Although it's very good, I just dislike it: it's neither car nor truck, and I would prefer they truck! Ah well...
If I do come across any I will certainly take you up on your offer to glance over it, but I won't be in a hurry: point taken about the winter.

Welcome Will. Do not be under any illusion that an older Cruiser doesn't have a lot of electronics ( 1980 on) because they do. You only have to look behind the dash of a 60 series ( 1980's) to see a stack of relays, ecu's etc etc.
The good thing is that the electric bits are very robust and reliable.
With your budget you might find a decen't Colorado that will fill your requirements as something you can use and not have to restore.
I see. I suppose I was thinking they would be similar to the equivalent Landover, where an old Discovery 2 or a Defender is mechanical rather than full of modern electronics if you see what I mean. You don't have to plug them into an electronic diagnostic gizmo to see what's wrong, you look under the bonnet!

Welcome

I reckon a decent 90 series (Colorado) is the way to.go - should be able to pick one up for around £4k and some money left over for a decent service etc.

Tin worm is the main enemy at this age IMHO, though there are some weak spots too (covered in the 90 FAQs section).

Good luck.

2001 or 2002 LC Colorado with the 3.0litre D4D engine
best engine Toyota ever made IMO
looks good and within your budget

or try to stretch to an early 120 series 2003 onwards

rust would be your only concern...

:text-+1: with the 90 series , all 20+ year old cars are going to need a little restoration and that's not fun when the budget isn't there , if you find a solid 90 it will still be due some replacement bushes and the like but the repairs they need are mostly optional rather than vital so it won't leave you parked up while saving for parts .

Thanks v much. Yes, from all you're comments it's looking like that, rather than a 70 series which I would ideally prefer, but as you say, it's the budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I have a pal with a good D4D 2002 90 for sale if it helps £ 3,500 with low miiles. Let me now and I can put you in touch with he .

Thanks for the offer Tony, but the D4D is not really what I'm looking for. Having read the replies people have been writing, I think I'm probably going to have to wait until after the winter for better prices on the Land Cruisers anyway.
All the best,

W.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back