Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ahc again

Philip amos

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
I know this subject has been brought up a million times before ,but im looking at replacing my ah c pipe work as a preventative thing.The pipe cost £440 a set so not too bad . however im told the bodywork needs lifting ,is there another way and how do you do it

thanks

I know this subject has been brought up a million times before ,but im looking at replacing my ah c pipe work as a preventative thing.The pipe cost £440 a set so not too bad . however im told the bodywork needs lifting ,is there another way and how do you do it

thanks
The body should be lifted to replace the rear A/C pipe work, but I don't 'think' the body needs to be lifted to replace the rear AHC pipes, so there might be some confusion between A/C & AHC pipe work from your advice source, you may need to remove the fuel tank to get to the N/S AHC pipe, also can be a pig of a job to get to the top of the rear hydraulic rams, I have read that some have cut holes in the rear floor to get to the top of the rams, the prob is that Toyota assembled some of the parts on the chassis then put the body on top, so making access to some of the parts almost impossible.

I have thought about replacing my rear (as it seams to be the rear that corrode the worst) AHC pipes, so I have done some research, but have NOT actually done the job.

So my reply might be a load of old BS.

Whether my advice is good or bad, I wish you good luck.

P.S if you do the job, let us know (in detail & with pic's) how you got on. :icon-biggrin:

The body should be lifted to replace the rear A/C pipe work, but I don't 'think' the body needs to be lifted to replace the rear AHC pipes, so there might be some confusion between A/C & AHC pipe work from your advice source, you may need to remove the fuel tank to get to the N/S AHC pipe, also can be a pig of a job to get to the top of the rear hydraulic rams, I have read that some have cut holes in the rear floor to get to the top of the rams, the prob is that Toyota assembled some of the parts on the chassis then put the body on top, so making access to some of the parts almost impossible.

I have thought about replacing my rear (as it seams to be the rear that corrode the worst) AHC pipes, so I have done some research, but have NOT actually done the job.

So my reply might be a load of old BS.

Whether my advice is good or bad, I wish you good luck.

P.S if you do the job, let us know (in detail & with pic's) how you got on. :icon-biggrin:

Thanks for that . I have replaced 1 rear ram i did after much deliberation cut a hole in the floor , I cut a 5 inch square , which made job easy. If your going to cut a hole make it worth while, I then made a fibre glass mould of floor
And screw a patch over , so now have an inspection hatch

Thanks for that . I have replaced 1 rear ram i did after much deliberation cut a hole in the floor , I cut a 5 inch square , which made job easy. If your going to cut a hole make it worth while, I then made a fibre glass mould of floor
And screw a patch over , so now have an inspection hatch
Just out of interest, what age and mileage is your 100?

I suppose the two worst parts of cutting a hole to access the top of the rams are, finding the right place to cut and not cutting anything vital underneath. Oh and do you live in an area of the UK where they salt the roads alot? For example I think the roads need salting more north than south west.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just out of interest, what age and mileage is your 100?

I suppose the two worst parts of cutting a hole to access the top of the rams are, finding the right place to cut and not cutting anything vital underneath.
I used a mini angle grinder and nothing underneath. Mine is a face lift Oct 2003 230000 miles. Where are you based

I used a mini angle grinder and nothing underneath. Mine is a face lift Oct 2003 230000 miles. Where are you based
Mine was built in March 2004 and only 89,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was built in March 2004 and only 89,000, I'm in the South West.
So quite a distance away. My engine had a rebuild 25000 miles ago and is a 4.7 litre. It didn’t have oil injection to protect valves so I fitted it, it drives really well and cheap to run ( relative) ie on a run I get 16mpg but at £2.60 a gallon it’s better or close to diesel with bags of power . Ive updated it with Tesla screen ect . Anyway if u want to chat ever my phone number is 07958250901 anyone reading this is welcome

So quite a distance away. My engine had a rebuild 25000 miles ago and is a 4.7 litre. It didn’t have oil injection to protect valves so I fitted it, it drives really well and cheap to run ( relative) ie on a run I get 16mpg but at £2.60 a gallon it’s better or close to diesel with bags of power . Ive updated it with Tesla screen ect . Anyway if u want to chat ever my phone number is 07958250901 anyone reading this is welcome
Meant to say I’m in Manchester

Ah yes, Iv'e read you posts on the Tesla screen, very interesting, but as I don't do many miles per year I don't think I'd fit one at the mo, but if my touch screen went wrong I think I would go for the Tesla, as the OEM screens are mega bucks I'm told.

Ah yes, Iv'e read you posts on the Tesla screen, very interesting, but as I don't do many miles per year I don't think I'd fit one at the mo, but if my touch screen went wrong I think I would go for the Tesla, as the OEM screens are mega bucks I'm told.
Luckily I use mine every day and I kept the old touch screen a it was still fully functioning

So your fitting in with the rest of the contry at the moment, The Rainy City:laughing-rolling:

It's tipping down here.
Believe it or not had no rain for a week now it’s coming tomorrow, most rain is on east of city

Believe it or not had no rain for a week now it’s coming tomorrow, most rain is on east of city
I think we would all be better off fitting 'Snorkel Kits' at the mo, feels like it hasn't stopped raining for weeks down here.

I also mentioned 'Brexit' the other day, but I think I got away with it :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::angry-screaming:

Have you got LPG?

Back