Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ahc low light

This also might be worth a read, even though it for a Lexus 470 the AHC is identical to a Land Crusier 100, as the are basically the same vehicle. Happy reading.

Here is an artical from IH8MUD posted way back in Oct 2013, entilted

LX AHC Off Road Suitability.

Credit to TeCKis300

AHC gets a bad rap from most on these boards. While some of it is deserving, as it's a potentially expensive wear item to maintain and repair, most of the other reasons are largely undeserving as it's a robust and capable system that is meant to increase the capability breadth of the vehicle without compromises. That is, it will do very well for on road manners, yet also provide clearance, articulation, and active dampening when the going gets rough.

I can't find it at the moment, but Toyota had a diagram that compared the capability of AHC vs non-AHC equipped hundy. It basically showed the AHC vehicle having more capability and on and off road. Now you can't have everything and eat your cake too, as the obvious trade-off is increase cost and complexity. Which brings me to my main point.

Half of the negativity against the system is due to second hand owners unwilling to cough up to maintain and repair what is ultimately a wear item. Not that it's not durable as there are plenty of anecdotal stories about it lasting over 200k. The other half is due to second hand owners trying to modify the system, or use it outside of its carrying capability, without truly understanding how to modify it to do whatever they are doing. Then they blame any fault on some contrived incapability or unreliability of the system.

Fact is, it's a tremendously capable system that can allow you to have the best of both on road and off road qualities (unlike an off road oriented suspension which biases the truck). I'll list a few.

1) By it's very nature of having a large fluid volume, it has more thermal capacity than any remote reservoir setup - great for those washboards.

2) The suspension is ACTIVE, so it has the ability to automatically dial in the right dampening for any particular wash board and load.

3) AHC will RTI higher (toyota supported fact) due to its smaller anti-roll bars and active height control.

4) AHC is constant height, regardless of load within its rated capacity. For example, if you toss in 4 people and gear on a standard non-AHC hundy, you'll already begin at a lower ride height relative to the AHC equipped hundy. Nevermind that the AHC can lift on demand.

5) AHC can have more lift than a statically lifted (stock non-AHC shocked) hundy on demand. Because the non-AHC truck has to compromise to leave some droop in it's setup. The AHC can go even beyond its on demand high position, when the ECU detects the need.

Sorry for my long winded reply, but I hate watching the herd mentality (eg. above) bash AHC on these boards , without a substantive reply.

Next question where is dl3 connector, is it what techstream plugs into

There you go, a more knowledgeable member than me has jumped in.

Good luck.
i tend to think you are right about air ,bear in mi9nd my car lost all fluid in a pie failure a couple of months ago.i just need to raise car to bleed

There is a data plug high up alongside the brake pedal, use a torch as it's black and easy to miss. This is where you plug in the techstream plug. The DL3 connector is under the bonnet, a small rectangular thing with a curved top, near the bulkhead on the passenger side, flip open the curved top and the pins are underneath, the pins are labelled on the inside of the curved top.

Next question where is dl3 connector, is it what techstream plugs into
You are looking for DLC3 NOT DL3, as Trevor rightly says DL3 is under the bonnet, DLC3 is the plug near the brake pedal, the same one where you would plug teachstream into, I bought an extension lead from eBay for my DLC3 also known as OBD 2 port, it makes life a lot easier, no contortioning under the dash, then just follow the instructions on the extract from the FSM I posted. :)

Hey presto.

i tend to think you are right about air ,bear in mi9nd my car lost all fluid in a pie failure a couple of months ago.i just need to raise car to bleed

Have you read AHC C1762 on mud ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
PREPARATION, a) Using SST, (as stated by Trevor, a 'paper clip') connect the terminal Ts to CG of DLC3.

Have you read AHC C1762 on mud ?
I’ve just tested motor it squeaks and doesn’t want to run. I’ve tested another motor I have it runs fine so I’m hoping this is the problem and will change next week

I’ve just tested motor it squeaks and doesn’t want to run. I’ve tested another motor I have it runs fine so I’m hoping this is the problem and will change next week
Good Luck :) let us know how you get on.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a data plug high up alongside the brake pedal, use a torch as it's black and easy to miss. This is where you plug in the techstream plug. The DL3 connector is under the bonnet, a small rectangular thing with a curved top, near the bulkhead on the passenger side, flip open the curved top and the pins are underneath, the pins are labelled on the inside of the curved top.
thanks

Good Luck :) let us know how you get on.
ive removed old unit and rain stopped play.However i thought i would try motor on the bench it ran and no squeel ? so im hoping its still the pump not working under pressure ie pump not motor

Well changed th pump and am still getting code c1762. any ideas,ihavent shorted pins ts to cg yet on the connection in footwell yet.any ideas
Are you reading all 4 pages from the FSM extract I sent you ? if so do you understand them ? if so page 2 tell you how to raise the car.

thats tomorrow
its above brake pedal yes
Yep, that's the one.

IMG_0498.jpeg

Yep, that's the one.
well i triedshorting terminals and it wouldnt do anything so i got a bit suspicious and went to test pump again and i found i hadnt pust terminal on fully .All working so my diagnisis was right its the pump that failed motor ok.im lucky i had 2 full pumps motors and tank that i bought for£150,so cheap repair .My next job will be to re bleed hole system but im going to malaysia in 2 weeks so will do on my return.
Thanks for all the help and at least no i can pass on my practical experiences to anyone that needs it

My AHC light flashes off and does not want to pump up to normal or high. What could be wrong? All fuses ok

Back