Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air Bag Light. B1181/18

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Airbag light has been coming on for a while so I thought I better take a look. And it's the MOT this month and airbag lights are a failure, right? Gone through the diagnostics in the repair manual and I think it's this. No resistance reading at all between these two wires, and yes the multimeter is working.

srs1.png

OK, instrument panel wire. Sounds like something that goes to the instrument panel. So, now I know how to remove an instrument panel, assuming thats the speedo doodah. Not too bad. Only no sign of a yellow, or yellow/blue wire which is what comes out of the connector onto the spiral cable. Well, those wires might be going to the panel but there are a gazillion other wires there so I thought I better consult the wiring diagram.

srs2.png

Hmm. Airbag squib has yellow, and yellow and blue wires (the instrument panel wire) but no mention of them going to an instrument panel. I think the "airbag sensor assembly" is the "centre airbag sensor assembly" which is under the arm rest / box doofah.

Wiring is not my strong point. Does my interpretation look correct? Anyone had to do any of this? Like to offer any words of wisdom? I'm off to put the instrument panel back (speedo binnacle thingy) back.

I also have the air bag dash light opening -not always on, but some of the time, or even coming on during a drive.
My mechanic connected the electronic "diagnostic" device and it "reads" that the detonator of the co-driver air bag is not working
A friend asked the question on my behalf at Toyota, and they said that a recall for air bag detonators was on some years ago, and that my car may be included in this -if I am lucky enough
So I am trying to find the time to take the car to an authorized Toyota service in order to have a look into the matter, before I proceed privately to an airbag replacement (I think that the detonator goes with the airbag? something like 400-450 euros they told me)

I also have the air bag dash light opening -not always on, but some of the time, or even coming on during a drive.
My mechanic connected the electronic "diagnostic" device and it "reads" that the detonator of the co-driver air bag is not working
A friend asked the question on my behalf at Toyota, and they said that a recall for air bag detonators was on some years ago, and that my car may be included in this -if I am lucky enough
So I am trying to find the time to take the car to an authorized Toyota service in order to have a look into the matter, before I proceed privately to an airbag replacement (I think that the detonator goes with the airbag? something like 400-450 euros they told me)
It may also relate to the wiring to the detonator Petros. If there are any bad connections it may show the same fault.
This is speaking from a generic electrical point of view.
It may be worth doing whatever is necessary to make the airbag system safe, then going round any connectors associated with that airbag and separating them, checking for corrosion or water and any wiring damage and then reconnecting them. Might save you forking out on a new airbag if the recall doesn't happen. Good luck with it.

As StarCruiser says, there are no error codes that prove a detonator isn't working (assuming your Land Cruiser is a 120). If you can get the exact error code, and your mechanic's device should show this, then the diagnostics section of the workshop manual will tell you what wires and connectors to test to find out if it is something in the circuit before the air bag assembly itself. You are right though, the assemblies are expensive.

Took the car to an authorized Toyota service
They told me that the cause is "airbag spiral" ? they said (in Greek) something like this
The guy said this is a part somewhere on the steering column
Something that looked like a code, on the report they gave me, was a number like B10101 or b 0101 (? Maybe I do not remember exactly now, I will look it up again and come back here with the exact code no.)
Anyway, I 'd rather have this fixed at an authorized service, as I believe I will get some sort of warranty for the repair, so I guess I will go to them (waiting to hear the exact price, but he told me to expect it to be around 350 euros - ouch!)
PS I forgot to ask him about the M/media system upgrades options, (see other thread) will do this next time.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Took the car to an authorized Toyota service
They told me that the cause is "airbag spiral" ? they said (in Greek) something like this
The guy said this is a part somewhere on the steering column
Something that looked like a code, on the report they gave me, was a number like B10101 or b 0101 (? Maybe I do not remember exactly now, I will look it up again and come back here with the exact code no.)
Anyway, I 'd rather have this fixed at an authorized service, as I believe I will get some sort of warranty for the repair, so I guess I will go to them (waiting to hear the exact price, but he told me to expect it to be around 350 euros - ouch!)
PS I forgot to ask him about the M/media system upgrades options, (see other thread) will do this next time.

This is the same problem I had.

The spiral cable is this : http://www.milneroffroad.com/toyota...steering-hub-clock-spring-squib-airbag-spring

Takes about 15 minutes to change. You need one torx bit screwdriver to remove the steering wheel airbag to get at it. Bear this in mind if they quote you for doing it.

Back