1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air con for 80 series required

Bern78 Feb 18, 2013

1. Bern78

Bern78 New Member

Map
    [TABLE="class: forumline, width: 100%"]

[TD="class: row1, width: 100%, bgcolor: #EFEFEF"][TABLE="width: 100%"]

[TD="colspan: 2"]Hi All, just acquired an awesome 80 series for an overland trip. No air con though. Since I'll go through all 4 seasons, it may be a welcome addition.
    Any ideas if its possible to fit an air con and the rough cost? Can anyone point me in the direction of anyone able to provide a kit second hand maybe?
    Thanks![/TD]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TABLE]

2. Shayne

Shayne Well-Known Member Supporter Guru

Map
    Hi bern i found out by accident the other day you can actually buy a 12v aircon gadget that just plugs into your lighter socket . I didn't pay much attention but i think it said a bottle of water needs changing every 8 hours . You probably want something more sophisticated but as a last resort it worth knowing .

3. yogi

yogi Well-Known Member I am in ireland

Garage:
    Map
    hi shayne,
    where did you find this?

4. Shayne

Map
    Just google 12v air conditioner and you will find loads .

5. Shayne

Map
    Look at - Westfalia mini air conditioner . I tried to copy and paste but it wont work for some reason ?

6. yogi

yogi Well-Known Member I am in ireland

Garage:
    Map
    thanks shayne

7. IRLGW

IRLGW Well-Known Member

Map
    You need to change the heater matrix as well. you must have bought a 12v manual also. same predicament as me. you can use any pump/compressor but the heater matrix wants to fit into your system if you want a neat job...

8. Langy

Langy New Member

Map
    Hi, mines a 12v 1993 auto without aircon, i thought the same as you as we were about to do the Draa valley last year, i contemplated has it retro fitted but if you speak to more and more people regarding air con in Africa they may say more people are ill as a result of using it? , your body is going from one extreme to the other constantly, if its any good to you we managed fine without it and never missed it, its just what you get used to really, even at 44 deg in the desert! one thing i will advise though is get your windows tinted, it make hell of a difference and keeps the sun at bay, it has a two fold advantage, people can't see in the back and its great at reflecting the sun.

9. Shayne

Map
    What Langy said about people getting ill going from hot to cold all the time is very true . With this in mind i think maybe i would opt instead for an extractor fan similar to the ones you put in a bathroom window . Sitting in a metal box has gotta be warmer than sitting outside and winding windows down to extract heat means you choke on dust . So an extractor fan fitted in the roof with maybe one of them bonnet scoops facing rearward on top might be an idea . A fridge works mainly by sucking warm air out so i'd guess with an extractor you could expect your truck to stay a few degrees cooler than the outside temperature .
    I could be wrong but it makes sense to me .

10. IRLGW

IRLGW Well-Known Member

Map
    I'm heading to the alps in july with two dogs so its more for them than for me! I think aircon was standard on all uk 12v autos according to the sales brochure. 12v manual didn't come with it but not sure if it could be got as an optional extra

11. Bern78

Bern78 New Member

Map
    We ended up managing just fine without it. (Even in the desert as you said Langy). Heater worked fine when it was cold, so I) cant see myself really needing an aircon in Europe if I managed without through Africa.
    Before I left I was told I will be looking at at least 2.5k to custom fit and aircon, just not worth it. Never tried to free standing job.

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter