Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air Con

simon_t

Country Flag
uk
Hi,

OK, I have seen some threads on Air Con problems but could not find one that helped me with this one...

The system was pressure tested and re-charged by a machine - result not cold… but place did not charge me for doing it… kwikfit.
Had a look myself - when by-passing the clutch did not engage…..the clutch plate was loose… bolt was missing :angry-screaming:- put in new bolt and when by-passing it engages now, just glad the clutch did not go through the bonnet… I even found a bolt in the sound proofing and gave it to Mr T at last service…. now know where it came from….
No +ve to the clutch engage wire when the A/C should be running.
A/C Fuses OK (left side kick panel).

It's not engaging the clutch and the revs are not going up when engaging which if I found in one posting is due to water temp etc.. just after re-charging the rev's were going up when the A/C was engaging when idle… (but did not know at the time the clutch was coming off and not able to engage)

So what is left.. pressure valve check/bypass (where is it)
Relays… can't find them even when taking the glove box out...
Anyone got any pictures?

Thanks….

Did it have any gas in it before it was recharged? If you jump the clutch, does it get cold? Sounds like it was empty when you took it in, worked (or tried to) just after recharging, and all the gas has leaked out again so now wont fire the clutch circuit.

Last edited:
If its like the system in the 90-Series the cabin heater fan has to be on before it will engage (but you probably know that).

I must get the Air Con re-charged in my 100-Series as well :icon-rolleyes:.

Bob.

All the gas has leaked out again. When you get it recharged again make sure you get it filled with florescent dye, then you will (hopefully) be able to get the source of the leak(s)

Hi,

OK, that makes sense, I will get the pressure checked and if it's low have leak detect dye added … Simon

Hi,

Well, it had no pressure at all… so added some air pressure to the system (a mate made an adapter) and found the problem straight away…. low pressure hose gone where it's touching a steel bracket behind the front right wheel, aluminium and steel don't play well together….

Found this post… search for … 100-series-Air-Con-pipe-repair

Going to go for a flexi-pipe repair hose from burgaflex.com if I can…

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Kwik fit staff have very clear instructions that if a car comes in with inoperative a/c, they should not touch it. Having saidnthat, after putting gas in it, they may have been able to find the leak just by listening.

Back