Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air conditioner compressor problem and query

The console cooler will just get cool I think. I don’t think it is done by air.

Was the centre console cooler switched on or off when you first came to look at it since the system was recharged and you were getting the constant compressor cycling and idle up issue?

Is it possible the centre console AC pipes are gassed separately? I was told these consoles when working property they make ice cubes.

Perhaps the system is charged from the one point and a simple valve switches in the console AC, never worked on one, so not help really.

Regards

Dave

Almost certainly on the same gas charge as the AC Dave. It will most probably have a solenoid valve in the liquid line.

The console cooler will just get cool I think. I don’t think it is done by air.

Was the centre console cooler switched on or off when you first came to look at it since the system was recharged and you were getting the constant compressor cycling and idle up issue?
SC - I think it may have been on. I have turned it off now and will see what happens over next few days.

Is it possible the centre console AC pipes are gassed separately? I was told these consoles when working property they make ice cubes.

Perhaps the system is charged from the one point and a simple valve switches in the console AC, never worked on one, so not help really.

Regards

Dave
Dave - yes I have a little ice box but have never made any. Will try once it gets cold.

Almost certainly on the same gas charge as the AC Dave. It will most probably have a solenoid valve in the liquid line.
SC - you may be right. Am on a drive tomorrow and will try to chill the console.

Thanks guys.

Yep with either the AC on or the fridge on at cold or Ice, the engine will idle up when the AC quicks in, takes about 30/40 minutes driving to make 2 trays of ice, nice!!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have the opposite problem where I can't get the compressor to engage unless bridged. Thinking AC amp too. Could also be gas??

On mine is did need new gas. Ac comp wouldn’t turn on with no/low gas.
I was able to turn down the a/c idle up to a lower revs. So when I was idling along at 900 rpm it wouldn’t suddenly lurch forward when the a/c kicked in. A/c idle up now at 1,000 which is fine.
To Be honest I never really use the cooler in the console. I should give it a try.
Cheers

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have the opposite problem where I can't get the compressor to engage unless bridged. Thinking AC amp too. Could also be gas??
Highly likely to be low on refrigerant. If you bridge the compressor again, take a look with a torch in the sight glass inside the left hand wing towards the front. You should see liquid start to rush through and fill it so it becomes clear. If you get nothing or a little then nothing it’s probably short of gas.

Don’t do it for long as no gas = no carrier for oil.

Last edited:
Bit of a mission from where I live, but I'll get the gas checked soon.

Cheers

Back