Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air in cooling system

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello fellow members.
I recently got my aircon con compressor fitted by a friend.
He said he had to remove the resivour tank to remove the compressor and fit a new fan belt.
My problem is he said he emptied my cooling system and replaced with fresh coolant. I never noticed any problems untill today as I put the heating on for a bit and didn't seem to get warm from all the vents and blow warm with hint of cold.
It seems I have air in my system since googling the issue.
What's the best way to air my system and get heat back.

it will bleed itself pretty quick. run at operating temp with the heater controls on hot. fan doesnt have to be on.

the coolant may need topping up as the air pockets are replaced with fluid.

expansion tank via filler cap. the "blow off" pressure is on the cap. it is on a 80.

it also allows air back in to stop a vacuum when the coolant cools.

expansion tank via filler cap. the "blow off" pressure is on the cap. it is on a 80.

it also allows air back in to stop a vacuum when the coolant cools.
Many thanks chaplegate for your information and hopefully will just fix itself. :clap:

Some of the heater pipes are higher than the radiator so you can't actually fill an empty system until the heater is blowing hot , thermostat needs time to recycle coolant as the heater pipes sup a couple of litres from the radiator . Top up your coolant .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Some of the heater pipes are higher than the radiator so you can't actually fill an empty system until the heater is blowing hot , thermostat needs time to recycle coolant as the heater pipes sup a couple of litres from the radiator . Top up your coolant .
That sounds easy enough to do Shayne thank you.

Chapel said it first but i guessed you had missed it while looking for a more complicated answer , glad your sorted though its nice to think i did something useful this year :thumbup:

Thanks to all members who contributed the information needed and my car is running fine again.
Its a lesson I have learnt for future coolant flush. :text-bravo::text-thankyoublue::text-thankyouyello::text-thankyouyello:

I just did a rad flush today myself. wasnt too bad but You can top up the system by disconnecting the right-hand hose on the heate control valve in the engine bay. it is the highest point. I had already disonnectec it to flush the heater matrix using the Karcher without any lance attached as the high pressure hose fits perfectly inside the flexible heater pipes. Alternated it between the flow and return pipes and then back filled the system slowly with the rad cap open and then screwed it on and topped it up to the valve.. I have thought about adding a non return hose connector to that pipe but itsonly the second time i have ever flushed it so probably not neceessary. Has anyone fitted electric fans to their 80? I was thinming of doing this or trimming down a spare fan for winter use..

Back