Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air operated diff lock actuators

I won't be bidding on them :), but I might have a go at making a rear air actuator, the rams are available in just about any size and stroke on eBay.

The front one looks much more difficult to make though.

Good luck with your bidding, perhaps if you win you could take some measurements?

I guess that the only thing to consider is how you effectively spring load the ram. Because the locker won't always engage due to not lining up, the actuator mechanism must have some sort of ability to preload itself but not actually move until the sliding parts are lined up. If the air ram was pretty low powered, that might work otherwise it will most likely destroy itself.

It wouldn't be hard to make up the kit to be honest. Like you said you need the stroke but could work 9t out. Then a few solenoids

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I emailed the chap selling them, he says he bought them all fitted so doesn't know where they came from or who made them.

I think I would just use the air pressure as the spring to push the fork in, the clock springs in the toyota actuator are quite substantial, so I think it would be unlikely to be overloaded, especially as the air ram would be quite small. When the diff lock is lined up it is very easy to push the fork in or out.

If you tried to engage with one wheel spinning I think you would have a problem but that is the same as the normal actuator.

A spring to ensure the fork is disengaged when air pressure is lost would be a good failsafe.

I’m certain I’ve seen the kits. Might have even been on here or possibly EBay.

IMG_0283.JPG

Single action spring return piston.
Can't remember where I got the picture from.

Back