Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Airbag jacks

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Had a 3 ton one of these for many years made by draper.
Played with it a bit when i got it and never really used it, i know all the methods that it can be used for to recover a vehicle but just gets used as a comfy stool when working on truck.
Does anyone use these properly in anger in the mud or sand.

I'm doing a kit check on what i carry and this may get left out in future.

Bin it :D

Very clever bit of kit but when they go wrong they go bang :!: Leaving you with a pair of Hi-Vis vests :lol:

P5010007.jpg

I do have alot of pics that I will upload for you as I extensively tested two of these to destruction :roll: :D :whistle:

My Draper one exploded. It's pretty dramatic I can tell you.

The tricky thing with them is finding somewhere to place them. Under a bash plate is good. Nice and flat. But if you put them on, say, an axle, they just mould themselves around it.

Chris

Depends on the make you use. The Draper ones are ok for what they cost and I used to cary one and used it a few times but they are cheap and it shows in the materials. I forget the make of the 'proper' one I replaced the draper with but it's much tougher, taller and will support a heavier load but also cost significantly more. They're ideal if you are on soft and or slippy ground but you do need to pay attention to how you position them, a bit like other jacks then :) As well as jacking I've used it to make a ramp with a waffle board and to push a truck sideways.

ARB probably Jon? They seem to be the available brand in these. Yes they look tougher and yes they are a LOT more money. All useful stuff when you need it but when you don't it's more crap to lug around.
The Draper one wasn't rubbish, I just took it too far one day.

Chris

Chris said:
My Draper one exploded. It's pretty dramatic I can tell you
The one in the photo that looks like a pair of high vis vests went off like a 15kg gas cylinder going :shock: So much so that I fell over & people came a running :oops: :)

Chris said:
The tricky thing with them is finding somewhere to place them. Under a bash plate is good. Nice and flat. But if you put them on, say, an axle, they just mould themselves around it
You're not wrong m8 :thumbup: They are excellent if you can place them right, under the front bash plate or rock slidders even, but anything remotely sharp, pointy or hot & BANG :!: :shock: :lol: Also very unstable under the rear axle :!: The vehicle just rolls off once the rear wheels are off the ground :)

Exhaust damage
P4230054.jpg

Jon Wildsmith said:
Depends on the make you use. The Draper ones are ok for what they cost and I used to cary one and used it a few times but they are cheap and it shows in the materials. I forget the make of the 'proper' one I replaced the draper with but it's much tougher, taller and will support a heavier load but also cost significantly more
Easylift commercial spec @ around £400 or they do a military spec for about £1000 :lol: http://www.air-jack.com/default.asp

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've got one of these, had no need to use yet though, I also carry a couple of squares of old carpet to put between whatever surface you are jacking on and between the jack and car, that might avoid the air jack moulding around the axle a bit. :pray: and sharp or hot bits, I also carry a HiLift and a hydraulic bottle jack overkill I hear you scream. :lol:

principle seems very good and I suppose they could get you out the sh!te every once ina while, sounds like you just need to be careful on positioning.

J66P said:
principle seems very good and I suppose they could get you out the sh!te every once ina while, sounds like you just need to be careful on positioning.
I've got to go for my dinner now, but mine didn't blow up because of positioning. It blew up due to the failiure of the over pressure valve :o I'll be back to explain soon :D

I've used mine (the draper one) under the axle a few times without any problems, you just need to think about what the direction of the forces will be as the bag inflates and be prepared to stop and adjust the positioning rather than just carrying on and hoping for the best :) As for any jacking operation you do really need to chock the other wheels or engage diff locks and park if that's an option.

My 'proper' one is an Easylift, thanks Stephen, an ELH04 bought quite a few years ago now when I had more money and less sense :mrgreen:

Back