Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Aircon installation in an 80 series GS

dyladams

Garage
Country Flag
uk
I have a query that I hope someone might be able to help me with.

From what I understand, the 80 series GS model did not come with air-conditioning / climate control. I was wondering if a Toyota aircon could be installed retrospectly, however it would need to be as per the standard installation found in a GX or VX.

In addition, how easy is it to retro fit a toyota centre console fridge?

If anyone has experience with doing this, I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Dylan.

Are you sitting down? I had this done by Grosvenor Garages of Guildford when I bought an 80 from them, not cheap though, IIRC it was £1800 :shock: and that was back in 1994 approx.

Cossack said:
Are you sitting down? I had this done by Grosvenor Garages of Guildford when I bought an 80 from them, not cheap though, IIRC it was £1800 :shock: and that was back in 1994 approx.

WOW...... Didn't think it would be that much! You sure they didn't add a few extras to the bill..... Like rebuild the gear box or something?

A quick check on the price of a pint of beer in 1994 was around £1,38. Would I be safe to say that the price of a pint of beer is around £2.90 today (national average - www.pintprice.com) therefore in today's money, the installation would cost £3782.60!

If you really want/need aircon it'll be MUCH easier and maybe cheaper to sell you car and buy one with it fitted. If you wanted to do it on the cheap ,in theory, you could 'just' transfer the bits over from a donor car but, personally, I wouldn't even go there. What a NIGHTMARE!

toyota did sell the kit at one time a mate at work let me have the manual how to fit the kit

Some GS models come with aircon & climate, mines got it.

It could be ordered as an extra when new.

Not that that helps you though! :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A full Toyota kit for a 24 valve 80 is £1079.31 + VAT - that includes absolutely everything and I would estimate it to take around a day to fit.

For Toyota, that is really good value - it's only £70 more than a rear diff lock actuator!!

We have seen 3rd party kits that have come in at around the same price including fitting, but they have been cowboy affairs so would advise you steer clear.

Back