Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alarm Bells Ringing - Help!

Keith11a

Hi Guys

I wonder if anyone could help me please. I had only gone about a mile or so down the road in my LJ70 automatic (Japanese import), when a high pitched alarm sounded, the AT oil light on the consol came on as did the hand brake light and the battery light. I drove it slowly home and left it a while and tried it again. It started ok but symptoms persisted. I checked the transmission oil level (AT), and it is a little low so I will top it up. If this doesn't cure it, does anyone know if this is a bit more serious? Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the prognosis? Many Thanks for any assistance. Keith

Sounds like an alternator problem, probably not charging.

Did you see what the voltmeter was reading? Sounds to me like overcharging, try switching on your lights/heater fans/rear window heater and as many other electrics as you can find and see if it stops. If it does it could be your voltage regulator has expired.

Jim.

Thanks Folks, the replies are much appreciated.

Jim, the volt meter was half way and I fitted one new battery about a week ago, the other is about a year old. I turned on the lights/windscreen wipers/fog lamps/heated rear window etc and the alarm did not go off. When I put the hazzard lights on the volt meter did go up and down a bit.

Anyone know what voltage should be coming out of the alternator?

Thanks Again

Keith

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As Andy said, if it's not overcharging it could be that it's not charging at all. and from your last post it certainly doesn't look to me like it's overcharging any more. The voltmeter will flicker in time with the flasher relay anyway with the hazards on so nothing to worry about there. If you ask me there's probably some sort of alternater fault, but I'd take it to an auto spark for a proper diagnosis..

As an aside, you should replace the batteries together unless one is obviously seriously faulty - as any new battery on a dual system will, given time, take on the characteristics of the older one.

Take care, Jim.

Back