Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

All dash lights come on when braking

Piper

Hi all,

I've recently had a weird issue and hoped someone may be able to give me some pointers. Recently when I touch the brake pedal, all the dash lights come on. The light behind the speedo and even the compass/displays in the centre console light up. When I let the brake pedal off, everything returns to normal. If I'm driving with the lights already on, then everything acts normally. I've never seen anything like that before. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ryan

Have you got a tow bar Piper? If so, check that the socket isn’t mangled and any indicator bleeper unit isn’t corroded, full of water that sort of thing.

Oh, and check for wrongly installed brake light bulbs and as said, bad earth connections, possibly around the rear lights.

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have tow bar so will check that out and the other stuff too. a good few years back (when I first bought the car) there was an issue of the ABS light coming on and I traced that to the rear light clusters being totally corroded. The problem stopped when I changed the lights. Hopefully the new ones are going that way already. I'll check it out though.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Back