Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Altenator/battery questions

David Hayne

1982 BJ 60

My first post:

New to the Land Crusier world and I am shopping around for a manual for this LC, but meanwhile I will take advantage of this site for help.

4 cylinder Diesel, purrs like a little kitten.

When I view the Altenator it appears that it has small piping attached to the back of it. Is this something to do with fuel ?

What is the best way to test if Altenator is working.

Two battery hook up: Is this correct ....from starter to (left ) first battery positive then from negative to second battery positive and negative ground.

And since I am asking, if you where to charge batteries with a Battery Charger, how would you hook the charger to BATTERY or BATTERIES.

thanks for your time,

David

The alternator question answer....vent pipes

this Land Crusier is a BJ42 ....

the wiring for battery hook up to 24 volt is starter to positive and then negative to postive of second battery and from second battery negative to ground

that's what I found out so far,

Hi David,

Welcome to this forum.

Assuming that it is a BJ42 and you can get your VIN number off the plate on the bulkhead. Take that number and put it into http://www.toyodiy.com this will give you access to alot of tech info.
manuals: Haynes do a reasonable one but it's for FJ40s (petrol) but if you do a worldwide search you should find a suitable haynes manual. There are a couple of US manuals but, personally, i don't like them as much.
Sign up for a SOR catalogue (sor.com) - the catalogue is as good as a manual but is all exposed drawings (I'm good with pictures - words I struggle with!) and it shows many parts that you won't see in the manuals.
if all else fails you can always ask on here.....
The original question fooled us all a bit - my 40 has a 60 series engine - and the vacuum pump on the back of the alternator doesn't have the vent (but it does on a 40)
you could always use your VIN number on a websearch under VIN numbers - research .... also search under your model number - and post some piccs of your truck on here, please.
Also worth a trawl through the 40 section of this forum ... get you familiar with different models of 40 series trucks.
Hope that helps.
any help you need, just ask
regards

Hello Rodger,

Like I said I am new to the Land Crusier and with Rodger's help I realized that it is indeed a BJ42....Diesel so I guess it is wise off me to search in the 40 series forum.

I will search this info and I truly appreciate your help. When I fiqure out how to download pictures to this site I will post.

thanks Rodger

David

Hi David,

Just noticed that you're in Canada.... my eldest and his family live in Alberta, which is about as far from you as I am here in Spain.

Somewhere on the forum are the instructions for uploading pictures, you need to use photobucket, best do a search "How to....."

Also worth searching to timeline/history - it's on the forum.

Looking forward to the pics

Regards,

Hi Roger,

My son lives in Yellowknife which is closer to Alberta. The Land Crusier was purchased by him out of New Brunswick and transported to NS. He has only seen pictures of his purchase and in the mean time I am doing the big look over to see what we need to put the LC on the road.

We both found the site that you gave info on and it is exactly what we where looking for, major big help.

I am going to post a question on the 40 site and move into this section.

thanks again for your help

David

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi David,

Yellowknife? I seem to remember that the Ice Road Truckers go there.... but it is nearer to Alberta (if anywhere in Canada is near to another place!!)
My family live just outside Lethbridge and when we were there last year we saw a couple of 40s, unfortunately both could have done with some tlc!
Fabulous country, and if I ever ended up living there, which is unlikely, I'd have to take my 40 with me!
See you on the 40 forum
Regards,

David Hayne said:
When I view the Altenator it appears that it has small piping attached to the back of it. Is this something to do with fuel ?

David

The 3B diesels have a vacuum pump at the rear of the alternator for your brake booster or sometimes they have a vacuum shifter on the t/case.
These pipes or hoses probably go to a reservoir about the size of beer can.
Diesels dont make enough vacuum in the manifolds like a petrol engine so they use a pump.
Other models have it built into the engine

David Hayne said:
1982 BJ 60

My first post:

New to the Land Crusier world and I am shopping around for a manual for this LC, but meanwhile I will take advantage of this site for help.

4 cylinder Diesel, purrs like a little kitten.

What is the best way to test if Altenator is working.

Two battery hook up: Is this correct ....from starter to (left ) first battery positive then from negative to second battery positive and negative ground.

And since I am asking, if you where to charge batteries with a Battery Charger, how would you hook the charger to BATTERY or BATTERIES.

thanks for your time,

David

That description says 24 volt system (assuming 12 volt batteries), so you can either use a 24 volt charger and put the connections onto the positive on the first battery and negative on the last, or if you only have a 12 volt charger, you need to isolate each battery and charge individually.

Roger

Back