Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

alternator and dashcam

nickh888

Country Flag
uk
Hi guys, I fitted a dash cam and power black magic box to my LC5 about 2 weeks ago and yesterday the alternator failed on me. Is there any way the two event could be connected? I configured the power back magic box to power the cam for 6hrs once parked or until the battery was at 12.5v. I use the car daily and probably average 350miles a week. I get that it could drain a battery if I messed up the install but I can't see how it could kill an alternator. Any thoughts?

Unlikely Nick. Has your alternator actually failed though or is it just suffering from the fairly common corrosion to the multiplug terminals on the back?

thanks StarCriuser I thought (and hoped) as much. Im not sure to be honest, the RAC took it straight to a garage when they recovered me but Ill ask the garage in the morning to check for corrosion - thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

How do you know the alternator failed? How old are your batteries in there ?

Good point KB (GOK), Nick, did your truck die after lights became less and less bright or was it fine then just wouldn't start? Or did it do something else?

Good point KB (GOK), Nick, did your truck die after lights became less and less bright or was it fine then just wouldn't start? Or did it do something else?
Hi. The batteries are two years old. The car started ok but after about 300yrd the audio system rebooted and I got 4 or 5 lights on the dash and my wipers lost speed. I stopped the car. Turned it all off but it would t fire back up. Thanks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That sounds more like a battery or battery connection problem than an alternator problem Nick. It's not uncommon for batteries to fail.

That sounds more like a battery or battery connection problem than an alternator problem Nick. It's not uncommon for batteries to fail.
Thanks star cruiser. The garage have confirmed its a faulty alternator. They did tell me the exact fault but I was too focused on how much it was going to cost to fix it to remember what they said. Anyhow it’s being replaced. They’re checking the batteries and I’ve also asked them to replace the timing belt because it’s due. Should be good to go when I get it back. Cross fingers.

If the battery became disconnected then the alternator could well be damaged by this. With a garage involved I guess we will never know.
Hope the bill isn't too painful Nick.

If the battery became disconnected then the alternator could well be damaged by this. With a garage involved I guess we will never know.
Hope the bill isn't too painful Nick.
Thanks. I’ll just keep telling myself she’s worth it :).

Back