alternator / charging

Jake the Peg Jul 8, 2019

1. Jake the Peg

Jake the Peg Well-Known Member I am in scotland

Map
    Today I fitted a new alternator in the hope that the dash warning lights Christmas tree would go out, but no luck, So some further checking, with the supplier, and fluke, I should see 12 v on all 3 wires on the alternator loom, but I don’t see any voltage on the white wire (battery voltage) if I bring 12v to the white wire I see 14.2v and a nice dark dash panel, so I assume I have a break in the white wire somewhere, charge fuse is ok..

I seem to remember reading about someone else finding the broken wire, but I can’t seem to find the post again, so before I start pulling things apart, can anyone point me in the right direction, yes it could be broken anywhere but no harm checking where someone has found it before!

Thanks

J

2. Jake the Peg

Jake the Peg Well-Known Member I am in scotland

Map
    Rather than be totally lazy, I decided to just get a move on and start chasing the wiring, I found the white wire that connects to a small junction box then up to the passenger battery+ snapped had dropped down below the 24v starter gizmo, so an easy fix, all the dash warning lights out and a nice steady 14.2v charge over the batteries

Next job steering box seals.....

3. Dave 2000

Dave 2000 Well-Known Member Supporter I am in spain

Map
    I had exactly the same problem, it is the battery voltage sense wire, it is white in a black sheath. I just replaced my VSR and found that wire had corroded where it connects to an insulated body mount. I must have disturbed it as I only had the problem after working in that area, I cut out the connector and run a new wire to the VSR, the type of problem you might get if out on a rough road miles from the 'Grua'. :icon-wink:

Glad you found it.

regards

Dave

4. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in uk

Garage:
    Map
    The short broken wire was almost certainly a fusable link. It should be replaced with same or have a fuse spliced in immediately it leaves the battery terminal else fire could result if the alternator goes bad or if a short is presented on that wire. A 10A fuse should be ample but needn’t be that big as it only senses and doesn’t actually draw current.

clivehorridge and Jake the Peg like this.
Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter