Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alternator problem

Eliphanta

Have a 2005 Land Cruiser 100 and on a recent long journey from Spain to France the alternator gave up the ghost, had this replaced at great expense, two month later the replacement gave up, stopped charging albeit the light went off above two thousand revs, but still did not charge! Replaced the item and again all was well, until today; started teh engine and the charging light remained on, blipped the revs and it went out, turned off and tried it again, same result, amp reading of 9 volts, red light on! As might be imagined am a bit concerned, could I have a second unit with a fault, not the same supplier, one in France and the other a well known 4x4 off road parts supplier, any ideas?

Have a second query, the suspension off light continues to flash off and the ride height seems not to function; no end of button pushing will change the situation; any help will be well received!

The plug on the back of the alternator gives problems. You can check it with a powerful torch to see what the contacts look like.. Also you can take it apart and clean it. If plug is not repairable Toyota supply replacement plugs you can splice in to the wiring.

Did you have the alternator tested off the car ? Did you have a genuine Toyota one fitted ?

Re the AHC . .

Check the fluid level in the reservoir. I thought mine was at the correct level but it wouldn't go into 'High'. It turned out that the 'level' was just a dirt mark on the inside of the tank - which was generally grubby inside. I topped it up properly and its been fine. Mine's a 2001 'VX'.

I recently put a new Alternator into my Transit Van. I sprayed all the connections with "Servisol Electrical Contact Cleaner & Lubricant". Its fine now (not much help, I know :icon-rolleyes:).

Bob.

The plug on the back of the alternator gives problems. You can check it with a powerful torch to see what the contacts look like.. Also you can take it apart and clean it. If plug is not repairable Toyota supply replacement plugs you can splice in to the wiring.

Did you have the alternator tested off the car ? Did you have a genuine Toyota one fitted ?

Thank you for your input, the replacements were not Toyota albeit the money it coest for the French job makes one wonder if it came with a replacement vehicle! We checked the plug when replacing the current unit, looked ok; did not bench test the unit, just sent it back to the repair garage, await their further comments!

Re the AHC . .

Check the fluid level in the reservoir. I thought mine was at the correct level but it wouldn't go into 'High'. It turned out that the 'level' was just a dirt mark on the inside of the tank - which was generally grubby inside. I topped it up properly and its been fine. Mine's a 2001 'VX'.

I recently put a new Alternator into my Transit Van. I sprayed all the connections with "Servisol Electrical Contact Cleaner & Lubricant". Its fine now (not much help, I know :icon-rolleyes:).

Bob.

Thank you, will look at that, woild the fluid level cause the off light to continually flash? Thank you for the servisol tip, worth knowing of it for the future!

Would the fluid level cause the off light to continually flash?

Yes - that's what mine was doing when I tried to put it into 'High' - the light flashed and eventually it just set itself back to 'Normal'.

Its fine now :thumbup:.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back