Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alternator

Phil Alder

Country Flag
australia
Hi all I am just changing my timing belt water pump etc and not sure whether I should change the alternator. It’s working fine but it’s original and done 310000k. Do you think I should change. I am heading off around Australia and would also like any comments on what alternator to get. I presume OEM are Denso but as you know Toyota want around $A700. Appreciate any comments

Hi Phil and Welcome,

If it’s peace of mind you’re after change it or take a spare and the tools to change it. Yes get a Denso one, this doesn’t have to be from Mr T as Denso is a brand that’s generally available. You should be able to get one from eBay (for example) if you cannot find one locally.

The thing is, Sod’s law comes into play here. If you don’t change it and do nothing it’ll fail on your trip. If you buy a spare (best option) and take it with you it will last for years. That’s the way it works.

Taking a leisure battery setup allows you to jump start if necessary. Further changing the starter to a 12v one frees up the second battery as a spare or as @Chris has done, make a dedicated starter battery charging an auxiliary battery that then supplies all the other vehicle related loads and a leisure battery. Serious redundancy for visiting areas where your life may depend on starting your cruiser.

Looks like a 100. They never had a 24v starter. And depending on spec, Likely only has 1 battery already.

The alternator in the 100 and 105 have been known to pack up, around the 150k mile range. You are well past that.

The other option is to look at what's likely to fail in an alternator, and just carry that spare.

The only problem with the internal spares is the need for a fairly heavy soldering iron for the diode pack. In a windy outdoor situation it’s going to be tricky changing that if it went.

As it’s a 100 then as GOK says, it’ll be a 12v start already. Missed the section this is posted in. :doh:

Thanks a million guys. You should have seen it when I pulled it out. Amazing it is still working. My car is a 2005 and the alternator is stamped 23 so I reckon that is their code for 2003. Just ordered a new Denso alternator and it was half what Mr T wanted. Thanks for the great advice. I just know after pulling everything apart it would have gone and as you know it’s a mongrel job

Post up a pic of what you found Phil. It’s always of interest to see. Not sure on the date code but I could find out. If it’s the original as you suspect it’s done well. Some Land Rover ones burn out in the first 6-8 years.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
First time I have tried to upload an image however if you can see the alternator it really looks original. Still working well and most of it life has been on dirt roads
A54DB4F1-C6E1-4227-9384-26B20FFDAC24.jpeg

Post up a pic of what you found Phil. It’s always of interest to see. Not sure on the date code but I could find out. If it’s the original as you suspect it’s done well. Some Land Rover ones burn out in the first 6-8 years.

They are good units. If you strip it and clean it you’ll see that the brushes are virtually sealed in a housing. You could probably refurb it yourself as a spare if you wanted. There’s not much to them. Worst job is getting the pulley off but you can do most of a refurb without if the bearings are good.

Back