Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Am I crazy...going from my 100 to a 120

warrenpfo

My folks have been staying at ours for the past 2 weeks and I have been discussing the pros and cons of taking my 100 vx back to SA. The only thing that is holding me back is the fuel consumption. I can afford to drive it here as it does not go too far and have enough spare cash to fill her up as and when needed BUT when back in SA that might not always be the case.

My dad and brother are both Landrover lovers and so are trying to convince me to buy a disco 3/4 which i am not keen on.

My options as far as i see it are:

1 Sell the car and get a 120, I test drove an 06 3l d4d today and was quite impressed with its poke and general drivability. I could sell mine add some cash and get as new as possiable model for £20-£25k.

2 Sell the 100 and spend the 25k on yet another later 100 with the 5 speed box and get a second set of road tyres which all helps on the fuel consumption figures and once again if it does not work sell it after 2 years back in SA.

3 Keep the current 100 and spend the extra 10k on 2 run around cars when back in sa and only use the 100 on the weekends and for trips.

I really do like driving the 100 and its agricultural feel but must say the 120 was very nice just very small. Has anyone gone form a 100 to a 120 and enjoyed it more.

What mpg are you expecting to get from a 120 and what are you getting now? I would do the maths and work out potential yearly savings and compare this to how much the swap is going to cost you. :ugeek: When I do these calcs I always think it is pointless as the savings are small and go with the one which will give me more :D per £.

That seems a bit low for a not very modified one but I'd guess it depends if that's around town or longer runs?

Small?!?? So hurt :(

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon

Its very stop start, i live 3 miles from work and go to work and back and home for lunch everyday with general weekend run abouts so not ideal.

Crispin

I sat in the lc4 today and first thing i noticed was not having to scrape over the outer edge of the seat to get in as its quite abit lower and then when the doors closed the internal feeling was that I was back in my wifes Rav. It felt very small. On closer inspection and doing some testing its not that much smaller and am sure i will get used to it.

Sell the 100 get a decent 80 as late as possible (year wise) do it up properly (mechanically) and take that back - in fact take back 2 and sell one!

Or keep the 100 (I'd keep the 100 personally)

Cheers

Thanks Gary. As much as i like the ruggedness of the 80 i do like my creature comforts and so the 100 wins hands down there.

I don't think that a 120 or newer 100 would be appreciably better in terms of mpg doing the same journeys so I don't really see where mpg is a factor in the options you listed. I know what you mean about the 120 seeming small, after living with a 100 they do seem like there's no elbow room just having a sit in one but I think it's more the case that a 100 is wide rather than the 120 small.

With the fuel prices in SA being realistic, I'd certainly keep the 100. Your family are simply jealous :lol:

warrenpfo said:
3 Keep the current 100 and spend the extra 10k on 2 run around cars when back in sa and only use the 100 on the weekends and for trips.
:thumbup: Take a deep breath and ignore all the "advice" :D Unless your dad/brother/whoever are sponsoring your fuel and running costs, the choice is exclusively yours :whistle:

The reality is a 120 or disco is not going to deliver significantly better economy, despite what the supporters might say. Unless you dislike your 100 for some reason, why worry about other options?

Many thanks all for the comments. Deep down I love my cruiser and plan on taking it. I guess i just want to be told i am doing the right thing.

Jon, my calc on fuel consumption was out i am getting 22.4 which is slightly better.

warrenpfo said:
Jon, my calc on fuel consumption was out i am getting 22.4 which is slightly better.
Seems pretty good to me for the kind of usage you described which you must already know the 3 mile journeys to and from work will be very inefficient.

warrenpfo said:
Last tank 21.44mpg
Ouch !!

Not the worst I have seen from a 4,2 L diesel.
The fuel in South Africa is just on the same price here now.
And if you put that in perspective to wages earned there, then fuel is quite expensive.
No more are the days of filling up with R200.

Gra.

warrenpfo said:
Its very stop start, i live 3 miles from work and go to work and back and home for lunch everyday with general weekend run abouts so not ideal.

Considering the type of journey - you'll be looking towards the "urban" figures for consumption. Given that, I think your MPG is actually quite good! :cool:

Many thanks all for the comments. Deep down I love my cruiser and plan on taking it. I guess i just want to be told i am doing the right thing.

You're doing the right thing!

Just checked SA fuel prices through the South Africa AA:

As at 7 December 2011

Petrol:

Reef Unleaded

93 octane 1049c/l
95 octane 1066c/l

Coast
93 octane 1032c/l
95 octane 1036c/l

Diesel:

Reef
0.05% sulphur 1049c/l
0.01% sulphur 1053c/l

Coast
0.05% sulphur 1028c/l
0.01% sulphur 1033c/l

The exchange rate currently (roughly R13 = £1) turns all these into about £0.80 / litre.

So very nearly half-price.

I wouldn't be getting rid of my Cruiser any time soon!!! Admittedly it's become more expensive to fuel it, but not prohibitively so. I'd also take a run-about back with me, seeing as the car prices in sunny SA are such rip-offs - 2nd hand cars are far too expensive for what they are, really. You can take back a reasonably new Yaris, for example, for about 1/2 of what you can get the equivalent for there - have a look on SA Autotrader for a shock ...

Just my R0.02c worth (about £0.0015 really ... :lol:)

Back