Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Am i loosing it?

goodoldboy

so heres the thing.My trusty 95 has just passed the 200 000 mile mark but gets a lot less use than before as im doing more teaching & less forestry , tree surgery & general carpentry/building etc.Any 20 year old 200000 mile car has a limited life as a daily driver racking up the miles & tbh i prefer to commute in the civic.But the problem is we still need something at home to fetch firewood & bring supplies up from the roadside.So the other day my mechanic introduced me to this little beauty.....

IMAG0759.jpg IMAG0758.jpg

its a 2.2 diesel exempt from road tax & the smoke test at mot time.but because of its age it needs testing every 6 months.its rust free all the panels are straight & original.a new tyre costs two bob.

as a third car for firewooding 6 carting stuff round the ranch a 40 or 70 series would be idel - but have you seen the prices? this thing is cheap

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Been there, done that, I think it went something like this:
Lots of series landrovers ££££ and Hrs Spent, lots of Range Rovers ££££ and Hrs spent - became a master LR mechanic during such time, tried Suzukis but cant fit in them and they fall over - a lot! - G Wagons, UniMogs, Home Built Rock Rods - Bought an 80 Series - owned it over 6 years - a record by about 5yrs and 8 months!

Moral of the story - buy once, buy right! :)

Just before the mechanic showed it to you he'd been having a coffee in a cafe and he sat next to his best customer. The conversation went something like this,
C: 'How's my LR?'
M: 'I tried my hammers but have have had to get the fraction marked spanners out again. I only keep those spanners for your truck'
C: 'You know I have lived here many years and have never managed to drive to the top of the hill without breaking down. I would like to do that. Maybe I should get a better vehicle? I could sell it, it's rust free.'
M: 'Of course it's rust free - it spends all the time in my dry workshop. But you know there's a chap, a Goodoldboy, who has a 20 year old Land Cruiser and that will certainly get to the top of the hill and will probably continue to do so for the next 20 years because he no longer commutes in it. I could have a word...'

In answer to your original question... yes

Regards,

I had one; I kept it for 12 years until I got fed up with oil leaking into the brakes every 500 miles. I bought it as a wreck and spent about £12K re-building it to a higher spec.

Mine started with the 2286cc petrol engine. It was a lovely little motor once I had re-built it but it wouldn't pull a horse Trailer in 4th gear. I put a 'special' 2.5 litre (5-bearing crank) motor in it and it was much better - until I blew it up on a hill. After that it got an old, standard 2.5 litre petrol motor for the rest of the time I owned it.

Noisy, cramped, slow, thirsty. I eventually sold it and bought the '95' that I am working on at the moment. I have had the '95' for 8 years.

That 2286, naturally-aspirated diesel makes about 60 BHP on a good day - don't go thinking that you are going to tow anything!

I fitted Fairey Overdrive and a Fairey Capstan Winch - which was very useful. I occasionally miss it for hauling stuff around my property (then I come to my senses and borrow the Farm's Telehandler).

DSC_0007A.jpg

DSCN2750A.jpg

P.S. You won't need the Desert Roof in Britain !

Bob.

I had one; I kept it for 12 years until I got fed up with oil leaking into the brakes every 500 miles. I bought it as a wreck and spent about £12K re-building it to a higher spec.

Mine started with the 2286cc petrol engine. It was a lovely little motor once I had re-built it but it wouldn't pull a horse Trailer in 4th gear. I put a 'special' 2.5 litre (5-bearing crank) motor in it and it was much better - until I blew it up on a hill. After that it got an old, standard 2.5 litre petrol motor for the rest of the time I owned it.

Noisy, cramped, slow, thirsty. I eventually sold it and bought the '95' that I am working on at the moment. I have had the '95' for 8 years.

That 2286, naturally-aspirated diesel makes about 60 BHP on a good day - don't go thinking that you are going to tow anything!

I fitted Fairey Overdrive and a Fairey Capstan Winch - which was very useful. I occasionally miss it for hauling stuff around my property (then I come to my senses and borrow the Farm's Telehandler).

View attachment 107563

View attachment 107564

P.S. You won't need the Desert Roof in Britain !

Bob.
Yeah crackers. Spent years under the bloody things. Put in a better engine and it stuffs the gearbox and diffs. If it's straight and cheap buy it store it dry for another 10 year's and cash in on it. For whatever reason series landrovers do seem to be increasing in value. Wouldn't say thank you for one to use though. Want a tool for hauling firewood buy a hilux. Had 4 myself and as reliable and tough as he'll.

So, let me get this straight, your mechanic wants you to have a Land Rover? I don't suppose he sees you much at the moment with the cruiser? Perhaps he wants to get to know you better?

Look, just go down the market and buy the largest wet fish your wife can hold by the tail and then, when you get home, ask her to slap you with it until you come to your senses.

:)

if Bob gave up on LR s that's it! all the above is true & I'm starting to remember LR horror stories. come to think of it my mechanic asked me if I could source a 5 bearing diesel motor in the UK as his one had dropped the swirl pot into the combustion chamber.....what is it with landrovers? did they mix LSD with the paint? so face slapped with wet fish & back to reality.thanks lads for talking me round.but looking at UK prices this might be appearing on eBay UK soon...

*dons flack jacket* i like it...

im looking at unimog u100s as an all round work horse, will fit hiab and tipper body. Most are classed as plant or agri so no mot or road tax.

if Bob gave up on LR s that's it! all the above is true & I'm starting to remember LR horror stories. come to think of it my mechanic asked me if I could source a 5 bearing diesel motor in the UK as his one had dropped the swirl pot into the combustion chamber.....what is it with landrovers? did they mix LSD with the paint? so face slapped with wet fish & back to reality.thanks lads for talking me round.but looking at UK prices this might be appearing on eBay UK soon...
Can't help notice the tow ball on the front bumper of bobs series 3. Along with the hazard lights must be the most useful bit of kit you can add to a landrover! !!! Mind you a relative who has a 65 plate range rover sport has it in the dealers today with diff or gearbox failure. New ones are just as temperamental it seems. Still a nice classy place to sit whilst you wait for the tow truck.

Reactions: Sag
Hilux is a good call.
yep I have thought of a hilux but they fetch stupid money here as do most 4x4s - did you see my post about an old lada niva for sale at about 4K? importing a hilux is verboten 'cause it's a commercial

Reactions: Pat
Back